Becoming an ultrasound tech??

My entire life I've wanted to be an artist, more specifically an illustrator. I was disheartened when I went to college and found the only training in the art fields consisted of gearing you for an advertising agency (yuk) or a fine art program which I enjoyed taking some of the classes, but... I just don't "get". Not my style, man. I am an illustrator - I take a SENTENCE and instantly think of 20 different ways to form that thought into a picture.
Well, upon becoming pregnant with my 1st girl 3 years ago, I was fascinated by the ultrasounds & I couldn't get enough. The thought crossed my mind tht maybe I should look into it... and now I'm preggy with my 2nd and I think I want to go for it. It will be awhile before I can really dig into the education, but, for those of you in the field, what are the pros/cons of this field? This is a whole new path I'm excited to take but I just want to be sure I'm not in over my head.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Anyone? Can I at least get another bump? <:)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Hi! If you have talent and truly want to be an illustrator - go for it! I'm not sure what kind of illustrator you're talking about - I think with things like children's books you do this on a contract/freelance type basis and work through publishing companies (but I might be way off base), for technical/medical illustration, look for a program probably at an art school specifically designed for that. I used to be close friends with a semi-famous Marvel Comics artist - he used to work from home. Sometimes he did the pencil drawings, sometimes the inking, not often the coloring. It was all done via FedEx. I'm not sure how to get into that. Anyway, just a few suggestions - think outside the box and think about what direction you would go. As for ultrasound, there have been lots of ads on TV for these tech school programs and my hubby was thinking he might like that too. If you go that route I suggest that you look up some job
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• postings to see what type of education and experience they are REALLY wanting to make sure you are able to get a job once you're done. I think there are lots of opportunties (e.g. roving techs who work in a doctor's office one day a week here, another day there) as well as permanent staff). But I can't really tell you more about that.

Based on your interests, it sounds like visual concepts are big for you...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You should think about doing desktop publishing for your illustrating experience.

For an ultrasound tech, you'd have to go to a trade school.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i signed up to go to school for ultrasound tech. You have to be really good in math and I was given an in depth math test before being able to go into the program. Once passing the test (scored higher than anyone who ever took it-I love math! :)) I was accepted but gave up before starting because I couldn't get records from my old college because I still owed them. Then I lost my job; bigger fish to fry.

So I was pregnant a couple years later and while having an ultrasound, I asked the same questions you did. She said she wasn't an ultrasound tech but a RN. She also said to not bother with all the trade schools and such. To just go ahead and do the 4 years to be a nurse. It's much more worth it. Thats what I've decided to do if I can get my school situation fixed.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ewwww.... I'm terrible at math. :( Hence, my artistic background - I'm very "right-brained". Before being a SAHM I was an embroidery designer at a digitizing company - I LOVE LOVE LOVED the work but the small company BS drove me and DH INSANE. No benefits, and what benefits we did have (comp time for hours of overtime worked) got taken away shortly after 9/11. Then it was just expected that you pretty much live there and drop everything for every customer and every job was an absolute rush that you couldn't possibly get out in the time needed. But I LOVED what I did and loved the people I worked with. No company is perfect. I stayed there 7 years balancing the pros/cons... finally just when it about ripped my marriage apart due to all my boss's BS I got preggy and had a perfect reason to leave. :) I'm exaggerating on it ripping my marriage apart but DH would not want to be alone in a room with my old boss...
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Whatever you decide good luck! Sorry I couldn't help you. I just wanted to wish you luck and BUMP you!
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 9:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010