When is an appropriate time to make your LO wear shoes with hard soles.

My mom is convinced that she needs to start wearing proper shoes, otherwise she'll want to walk on her toes. I've been putting soft shoes on her and they look so comfy. The ones my mom bought doesn't look like they'll be comforable (they are soft inside, but rigid) Am I being too faffy? Is there any truth to my mom's beliefs?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 7:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The ONLY time a kid needs more than a sock on is when they will be walking outside and it might be dangerous or hot. She needs to learn to walk with nothing on and continue for awhile. The hard shoes and soles thing is an old myth. You want her foot to develop strong muscles. Let her go without a hard sole. If you start putting her in the now, her feet will conform to the shoe instead.

Try Robeeze from Striderite is she needs anything at all on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If she is walking, she should have hardsoled shoes to encourage her to stop walking on her toes. All children walk on their toes for a little while while their feet develop. Hardsoled does not mean the whole shoe has to be rigid. Striderite is what we had for our son when he first started walking. They were perfect for him.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Agreed with BisketLiss - I never even PUT shoes on my girl until it started getting cold out - she was born in May and I don't think I put shoes on her until Sept. or Oct., and I did the soft-soled shoes. I feel if they're not walking they don't need shoes. My mom is a nurse - she let me go barefoot around the house most of the time when I was learning to walk to develop good arches. I've never had a foot problem. Still to this day I don't put shoes on my girl unless we're going outside, what's the need other than to protect your feet? God did not design our feet to be crammed into shoes - it's a man-made device that was invented to protect the feet from hurting when you step on rocks & sticks & stuff. That's how I see it, at least. :D
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• BTW my girl is 2.5 now - sometimes she LOVES to have her shoes on, especially if they're new!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No shoes is best for little ones. Just socks is better if you are out at a mall or something. If you MUST put shoes on a child just learning to walk, flexible sole shoes are best. Now, for the hard soled shoes, I normally do them around a year and a half, or maybe a bit older. Wait until your baby is an established walker.
    celestegood

Answer by celestegood at 8:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't use them til LO reached the size where there are no longer soft soles available. Feet need to develop on their own. There's no gain in rushing hard soles. Humans aren't born with hard shoes so it's not a biological need. Nothing will happen if you let her feet grow naturally so don't worry.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No, the type of shoes that your child wears has nothing to do with whether they'll walk on their toes or not. When a child walks on their toes it starts from day one. It is noticed when they are learning to stand up and pull themselves up. It isn't about whether they wear shoes or not, because most children don't wear shoes until they start walking anyhow. If your child isn't walking yet then they don't need to wear hard soled shoes. I didn't start putting on regular shoes on my son until he started walking. He only wears shoes when we go out, because in the house he doesn't need shoes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We didnt start until he was walking well. I think around 18 months. I think it's easier for them to learn to walk in soft soled shoes.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Once our kids started walking more than just a few steps by themselves, we started putting hard soled shoes on them.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010