Does anyone have any experience with childhood insomnia?

My eight year old has had insomnia for almost a year now. He has his own room, and a night light. I know he's scared of the dark, and the night light helps. But he just can't fall asleep at night. I put him to bed at nine, and when I get up to take care of the baby at night, most nights he is still awake at eleven or midnight. And he says he wakes up at night as well; mostly its not being able to fall asleep. I know he's not hungry-I have him eat a banana and drink some milk before he brushes his teeth.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am taking him to his pediatrician in less than a week, and will ask him-but I'm just wondering, has anyone else dealt with this? What did you all do and did it work? We're at wits end here. He has to start getting more sleep!

celestegood

Asked by celestegood at 7:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My children were put on Melatonin a few years ago for sleep issues. It works great and my Dr. told us the does we buy it at GNC and It is a natural substance your body makes already. But after testing my kids don't make it right and metabolize what they do make. So we add it and everyone is sleeping.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My 2yo has insomnia, and right now we are working on medication-free ways to handle it. We are about to try melatonin, because none of the teas and other remedies seem to be working.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've recently heard about melatonin as well. Worth a try!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It won't let me edit so I have to edit here!

His doc says I should try leaving his books next to his bed so he can read, and he said I should start giving him melatonin every night. I got the dose the doc says we should try, and I really hope it works! I am trying it starting tonight, and I will report back here in a week to let you know how he's sleeping!

Thanks for your help, girls. Oh, a question-for those who have used melatonin-does it work right away or does it take time to work? I mean, do you have to take it for days to get optimum results? Did your kids sleep better from day one of taking it or from days of taking it? Well, thanks for your help, ladies. It's much appreciated.
    celestegood

Comment by celestegood (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• no
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010