Where can I find cheap moving supplies?

I need to know if anyone has any tricks before I give uhaul all my money. The only cost efficient advice I've been given is to go to businesses early in the morning and ask for their spare boxes. Anything else?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 8:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• wrap fragile items in your linens/towels/washcloths instead of bubblewrap
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 9:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks. Luckily I learned that one a while ago. It's genius. I just don't want to spend a fortune on boxes. I've used everything I have in the house to improvise and kept boxes to anything that's been shipped to me in the last month. But that's not enough for a whole apartment.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 9:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You don't even have to go to the places just to ask, you can save time(and gas) by just calling and asking about boxes~~we used to give boxes to people all the time.

Save your newspapers and plastic bags from the grocery store to wrap fragile stuff with. Oh I did what kitkabob said too! ;)

Call and compare truck rates. After they tell you a price, let them know what the lowest price you've been quoted somewhere else was and see if they are willing to go lower than that.

Enlist the help of your family and friends instead of paying movers.

Good luck. :)

kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• look online or in the phone book for box factories. They are everywhere you just never notice them. We used to sell our mistakes for $1 each when I worked at the factory. they are called stuff like packaging corporation of america, corrogated factories..They may even give the old ones away.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We also used alot of trash bags for things like stuffed animals and comforters and other soft stuff.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• freecycle
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Liquor stores are often overjoyed to give you boxes, and the separators inside liquor boxes keep things upright and padded.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010