Is the Tea Party more about Social Issues? Faith based politicians?

The tea party movement was born in anger over the recession and the Obama administration's bailouts, and built largely on a platform of lower taxes and smaller government. But some of its candidates are getting tripped up on social issues.

In New York, Carl Paladino, the tea party-backed Republican candidate for governor, caused a furor among Democrats when he said over the weekend that children shouldn't be "brainwashed" into thinking homosexuality is acceptable.

In Colorado, GOP Senate nominee Ken Buck has tried to deflect questions about his stance against abortion rights. In Delaware, Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell has come under fire over the conservative religious views she espoused as a TV commentator, including preaching against the evils of masturbation.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, but what do they want to CHNAGE it too?

***

Funny, that was my question for then Senator Obama, yet NONE of the liberals on here or in the media posed or answered the question. Wonder WHY?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In answer to your question. No. It's about fiscal responsibility. I'm not a tea partier but I know enough about the differences between somone backing a politician and another political party. Even with backing, the backer doesn't need to support the candidate 100% just to support them in an upcoming election. Kinda like how you say one day you don't agree with all of Obama's policies but continually defend him in every post on CM. go figure, you should be able to figure all this out without making a post about it.
    the post comes from fear of just how influential the Tea Party has become, not your genuine concern over what their social agendas might be.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• All people, including politicians have their own view of social issues. Their view doesn't mean that is their priority as an office holder. I am pro life, but I have much bigger fish to fry than trying to figure out how to overturn Roe v Wade. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, but I believe this issue should be left to the indiviual states.....along with many other issues. Honestly, I think govt should get their hand out of most social issues. It is quite possible I would change my views on gay marriage if it were left to the states and the gay side didn't feel the need to shove it in my face and trash my faith.

Anywho, I am not listening to what is being said where social issues are concerned. For me, it is all about the economy. We must have fical conservativeship even in if comes wrapped in a socially conservative package. Don't you think there are enough social liberals to keep that in check?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ....arent you supposed to be teaching?
    --------------
    aren't you supposed to be working?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• there once was a hypocrite from Philly
    who made CM posts that were silly
    One day she got sad
    Cause the midterms went bad
    And now she's out of a job at the DNC
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• jewjew..i didn't know you were so poised in poetry!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• IMO, i don't think the tea party will make it as far as they'd like to. There is definitely a heavy weight on moral issues for them, for sure...

Funny...my mom TRIED to brainwash me into thinking homosexuals are "un-natural". It didn't work...my mind & heart are too open to let anyone, even my mother, try to convince me otherwise.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• AS IF! Good grief sweet,seriously, you're one to talk about government being in our personal lives..considering you have been supportive of almost all of O's policies..Jeez

Anywho..have any of them stated that they will fight to make gays go back in the closet or how about making all abortions illegal?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• WTH is a spending Franzy?
    Is that when Michelle goes to France to spend our taxpayer dollars?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• he said what the changes would be and he is following through
    ------
    wealth distribution
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010