DAYS & NIGHTS

My son is 12 days old. His days and nights are messed up. I would like to start getting him on the right schedule. Is it to soon? What can I do to help him start?

mommycoleyy88

Asked by mommycoleyy88 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was like that for the first 2 months. I just try to kept him busy during the day but he was so small and sleepy most of the time.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 8:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Too soon. Wait until at least 12 weeks before trying a schedule of any kind. Chances are, your baby will have a schedule developed on his own by then.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's early, but there are a few things you can do to start the process. Make sure that during the day, you have the sun shining in, lights on if needed, etc, and at night, keep it dark and quiet. Low stimulation at night. At this stage, that's about all I can think of to do, and it's just to give the idea that dark=quiet time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had a schedule with my 5 kids starting at birth. I would wake them at least every 3 hours during the day to eat, and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. Also - getting them out in the sun during the day for walks, or just to sit on the porch when it's nice seems to help. It didn't take them but just a couple of days to straighten out.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• people always told me to keep them awake... lol... i think they forgot how hard that was. so i just had to wait it out, i think by 3 months they were alright,,, hang in there... lots of luck to you
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You should not keep a newborn awake if they want to sleep.. they need their sleep right now more than ever. Like a lot of the other moms suggested, keep stimulation very low at night- no eye contact, no talking, quick diaper change without turning on the light.. just keep your night time feedings extrememly boring so he will get the picture. We had to do this with our son, too and it worked after about 2-3 nights. We still let him sleep as often as he wanted during the day though.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Another suggestion about a schedule... we always wrote EVERYTHING down (and our son is 6 months old and we still do) so that we could notice patterns in sleep/wake/eat. He eventually made his own routine so we just went with it. It's important not to stress about a schedule ie: eating at the same time every day, sleeping at the same time everyday.. just keep a routine so baby knows what to expect next.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Too soon! Give him some time! Until about 10 weeks, my son's "night" was 6AM-2PM. Then he switched to 10PM-6AM, which was MUCH better!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Lol. Brace yourself mommycoleyy. There's a new sheriff in town and you don't tell him what to do, he tells you. He'll develop his own schedule soon enough. I know it's tough. Just hang in there, luv. Good luck
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 10:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It really is too soon....just feed him when he's hungry and he should eventually regulate himself...just make sure you rest when he rests...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010