What age to start dating ??

Ok my oldest daughter will be 13 in Feb. She has a little boyfriend and I want to die.I am just wondering at what age should our kids date.I told her he can come to our house and go places with us,but she has to listen and that if she doesnt she will loose the privalige(sorry fo spelling) of talking to him on the phone and everything else.Did I do the right thing ?

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• My husband says that Ava (our DD can't date until she's married! ...lol.

I think you handled it like a pro! It's all about compromise and communication...you compromised REALLY well!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I think that you made the PERFECT choice on this one. If you tell her she can't date she is just going to sneak behind your back and do it anyways. At least this way you're giving her the chance to grow up and make that choice, and doing so in a manner that she can still come and talk to you about it when she needs the help. She is lucky to have a parent who thinks about what she might want and lets her have it .
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My daughter just turned 14 and is pressuring me about having a boyfriend as well...and I am handling it like you if we go to the movies he's invited and things like that and she can talk on the phone as well...I however really don't consider him her boyfriend...the running joke in my house is that they are friendgirls and friendboys...I try to teach my kids that serious dating is when you are more mature to handle the situation with the intent on one day making a lifelong commitment to that person....I think the world tries to pressure kids to grow up to fast and they need to enjoy every last minute of their young lives and make the right choices for their futures and that includes anyone they consider dating?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• when you feel that she is responsible and mature enough for a relationship be open with her about it but if u accept it or not she is gonna have them
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Thank you ladies,I feel better about how I am handleing this.I know that if I say now she will see him anyways.She is a good kid and I hope she is mature enough for the so called dating,but it will be well supervised just incase.lol Thank you ladies again.
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• dating with or without my parents permission my first boyfriend well real boyfriend was in 7th grade and i would meet him at certain places (my parents didn't know) the boyfriend i had that they did know about was in 9th grade i think
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• First do not under estimate that "little boy friend" these kids today are more advanced than we know. If she has a my space you get one too. This way you can moniter her friends and look at all their profiles. I invite all my 14 year old friends and they think I am cool, the only one that does not is my 14 year old....good luck your going to need it.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• another dating arrangement to consider is "group dating" my son and his friends both girls and boys have been doing that since 7th grade, it is to the point that it seem like none of them go out with just their own girl/boy friend if they cant find another couple to go with they don't go out.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• your question seems like great advice to me, I have a 12 and 13 dd and that is exactly what I will do when our time comes : )
    Mrs.Z32

Answer by Mrs.Z32 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have a Myspace also.I made the password for my two daughters Myspace and they are not allowed to change it or I will delete it.I check theirs as often as I do mine.lol If I see something inapropriate from a kid I send them a message and then if its bad I will delete them from their friends list. Its almost like they are my Myspaces and I just let them on it.lol
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008