Has anyone else started suffering from insomnia after a baby?

I would appreciate your feedback. I can't sleep at night. I'm tired but lie awake for 3-4 hours before finally taking a sleep aid to rest. prior to being a mommy I could fall asleep within 15 minutes but now it takes 3-4 hours. do you ladies know of any underlying conditions this could be related to? This has been going on for over 3 months now....yes my husband snores, my son is a year old. Even if I sleep in the guest room...it still takes forever to fall asleep. My mind just won't shut down at night. I count backwards from 100 at least twice per night.

houstongurl

Asked by houstongurl at 1:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Health

• I thought mine was due to being on night shift and others then expect me to be awake during the day and my body struggles to do so and then the lights go out and BAM I'm awake. Melatonin is a natural chemical in the body, which helps you sleep, that you can get in the supplement and vitamin isle in the grocery. I recommend taking it at bed time not 3 times a day like I think the bottle recommends. Or if you have the money for a Doctor visit (co-pay) ambien is not as scary as they make it sound in the commercials, but hide the car keys. Once you take ambien you may have a conversation or two that you will not recall and you will sleep for 7-8 hours. Exercise at some point in the day, but not just before bed, can help too if you have the time and desire. Good luck.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 1:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I use two natural products to help me and it has been wonderful to fall asleep quickly and sleep well and wake up refreshed.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 2:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• YES! Why else do you think that I am answering your post at almost 230 am? LOL. Its awful. My DD goes to bed around 10 pm and I am awake for hours, I usually dont go to bed til like 4 am. And I cant take anything because I am still breastfeeding my daughter.

As to what it is related to...I wish I knew but I dont. Sorry.

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 3:25 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• hormonal imbalances are frequently the cause of insomnia, it happens around menopause, too. i have tons of herbal suggestions, so pm me if you want to know some.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2008