For Christians against homosexuality....

If your place of worship is against homosexuals, would they turn away an obvious homosexual who is interested in serving Jesus at your church?

Why or why not?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Absolutely not. I KNOW my church would love and welcome them just as much as anyone else who ever walked through our doors.

JESUS NEVER turned anyone away, why do we have that right! :)

I do not hate gays at all, I have friends that are gay, I do not agree with the lifestyle...but I love them as a person and friend.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• 1. Our church is not against homosexuals; they are against homosexuality

2. No. A Homosexual would not be turned away HOWEVER, if they made a profession of faith and did not turn from their homosexual lifestyle, then the church would go through the process of dealing with the cherished sin of a member.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think there are some really thoughtful responses to this question, and I think it shows love to the individual. If a person wants to be accepted while living in a sinful lifestyle (whatever it may be), then that person should not expect a christian church to be the place to fellowship. By the very definition of being a christian church, we are believers who desire to become more Christlike and in doing so follow his Word, being accountable to each other and God. The rules God lays out for us in His Word are for our own good, and He wants the best for us. There are plenty of other places where people who choose to live contrary to God can find acceptance, but if a person struggling with immoral urges wants HEALING, then a true church with true Christian believers is the place to come.
    Katalina471

Answer by Katalina471 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Colosians 3:9,10 Do not be lying to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new [personality], which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it,

She or he would not be turned away for the same reason Jesus didn't turn someone away who had any lifestyle or belief contrary to Jehovah's law.

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 9:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• There's a difference between 'serving' in the church and 'attending' the church or 'joining' the church. I don't know that a homosexual would be comfortable in our church, only because anyone who is living in sin (i.e., practicing a sinful lifestyle, whether it's drunkenness, adultery, homosexuality, etc.) will feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit. So, it will depend on whether this person is practicing the sinful acts that his flesh or the devil is tempting him to do, or if he is resisting and gaining victory to the glory of God. We all have besetting sins that we struggle with, but we don't have to give in to them. Also, anyone who wishes to serve in our church must pass the requirements outlined in scripture for that particular position, and it's determined by the men of the church as they prayerfully seek God's will.
    Katalina471

Answer by Katalina471 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• samurai chica, I know this is very, very hard to understand, and I think only God has all the answers. I struggled for years and years with a sin that I could not conquer, and then I began to study Romans, especially 6, 7, and 8. The key verse FOR ME was Romans 6:11 and 12, specifically verse 12 "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof." And in that verse the word 'reign' was the turning point for me. I must have read it a thousand times, in my mind thinking of 'reign' as 'live' ... but the word 'reign' means a very different thing. It means to have dominion over, to rule, to transcend all other actions. Sin and the temptations to sin, will be with us until we live with Christ in heaven, but will sin REIGN in our mortal bodies? We CAN have victory over sin in this life, sometimes miraculously and completely; sometimes more slowly. Katalina is a modification of my name :)
    Katalina471

Answer by Katalina471 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• But, doesn't the bible say that we're all sinners in one form or another? Why discriminate against just one type of "sinner"?

A Christian is supposed to be actively and continually turning away from their sin, whether it be alcoholism, adultery, gambling, or whatever else you can think of. Homosexuality wouldn't be (shouldn't be) treated any different. There is a process that church leadership goes through when dealing with ANY cherished sin, whether it is homosexuality or not.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• (i.e., practicing a sinful lifestyle, whether it's drunkenness, adultery, homosexuality, etc.)

But, doesn't the bible say that we're all sinners in one form or another? Why discriminate against just one type of "sinner"? I know we all have "besetting" sins that we don't have to give into, but everybody gives in, in some way shape or form.

"then the church would go through the process of dealing with the cherished sin of a member"

I don't really know what that means, could you explain a bit more about that?

Katalina...just curious, My birth name is Katalina! Although, usually it is spelled with a C, not a K. It's rare to see Katalina with a "K", so i just find that neet. Never met anyone else with my same name that is also spelled with a "K". I'm curious if that is your real name.
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Cherished sin is sin that a person enjoys and doesn't want to give up.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The Church of Christ is not against homosexuals, just homosexuality, just as we are against any sin. Anyone is welcome to worship with us. However, in terms of serving, if you have not turned away from the sin then no they would not be allowed to serve in a public manner --serving the Lord's Supper, etc if it was known the sin was continuing.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010