Mirena vs Essure vs Paraguard

What's the difference between the three?

-I don't want anymore children
-I don't want another surgery
-I'd love to not have anymore periods (Seasonale seemed a good choice)
-I don't want a daily pill or weekly patch/ring
-Almost 30 (and going back to the first point)
-Simple procedure as an out-patient would be great
-Covered by most insurance; affordable if no insurance is available
-Doesn't mess with my hormones causing my sex drive to drop (again)
-Minimal cramping

Almost all the information I find is biased, without any real comparisons. Is anyone on either form of birth control? How do you like it? Do you wish you chose a different form?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• Have been using Mirena for about 3 years after the birth of my third child at nearly 41. My main reason for going on was that I had such terrible periods that I couldn't leave the house due to heavy bleeding and the cramping was beyond belief. It took about 6 months but now I only have a bit of spotting when I guess I'm menstruating. It was outpatient - done in the drs office. Just took 2 advil before the procedure. Cramped and spotted a bit for a day and then no problem. Honestly, it's been a blessing.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've heard a lot of negative feedback about Mirena. I've been reading various articles online about the longterm effects not being as hunky dory as originally thought. It's good to know that it does work for you. The one thing that I don't like about Mirena is that it contains hormones, which I don't need or want. I appreciate your response. It (as well as other responses) will help me make this decision.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have had mirena for almost 3 months and I'm liking it a lot. I had some cramping the first month but its all but gone nown I have "periods" but they are very light (versus the heavy they used to be. I do have dizzy spells though and those are caused by mirena. Even with the cramping and dizzy spells its nice to know I don't have to worry about forgetting my bc.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• So, would you say Mirena is also good for helping to diminish heavy, uncomfortable periods?
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010