breastfeeding question

What would you do if you had to have emergency surgery and couldn't nurse for a day? This is a real question, not a hypothetical one. I don't pump and I'm pretty dehydrated anyway. I have a sample can of formula which I will leave, but I doubt he will drink any of it. The good news is that he's 8 months old and can eat solid food. He likes yogurt a lot, do you think it would be ok if he ate a lot of yogurt for 1 day?

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once you are awake and coherent, the anesthesia is not an issue. Once you feel alert enough to hold baby, you can safely nurse. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah, if pumping's not an option for you, then the formula is your best bet. I hope the surgery goes well!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I had this same situation when I had a TL (ds was 6 weeks old), I do NOT respond to pumps at all. I did however, learn to manually express by hand, and even if your little one will not eat the expressed milk, you'll still need to do so after surgery a couple of times because of the meds.

Luck to you, mine refused a bottle, and my Mum wound up spoon feeding him goats milk because she ran out of expressed milk (I reacted badly to the anesthesia and was out of commission for 36 hours post surgery), that is an option as well. Goat milk is a lot easier to digest, and more closely mimics human milk than cows. I wouldn't go overboard with the yogurt, just make sure he stays hydrated and he'll be fine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It'd be a good idea to have a supply of milk in the freezer just in case. It's nice to have it anyway, so that if you're gone, he can still get the good stuff. Are you able to pump?
    He's not ready for all solid foods yet, even for a day. If worst comes to worst, give him formula for a day, but I would recommend pumping and getting a day's supply stashed away.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Not going to happen, at my best I can pump about 2 oz a day, and I'm dehydrated, plus my milk stinks like rotten soap when I pump it and none of my babies have ever drank it, or formula. I'll leave formula, maybe he'll take at least some.
    mybella81

Comment by mybella81 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• If it was an emergency I would ask the hospital if they could give you a pump. I would pump for 24 hours after you take any medications. If you could get it prior to going, see if you can pump some for your baby. If not then I would try the formula. Just remind who ever is giving your baby the bottle that they stay calm. I would even try giving it to your baby now if that is the choice that you make. Get better. We do what we have to do sometimes.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• He'll be fine. You can nurse as soon as you are awake, so have daddy bring baby to the hospital. I wouldn't go overboard on the yogurt, just give a regular serving along with other food and water.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In MOST cases, the only time you need to stop nursing is DURING the surgery. General anesthesia, once you are awake, you can safely nurse. Most pain meds given after surgery are also safe. I don't know the specifics about your situation, but thought you might find that helpful. When is the surgery? In your shoes, I'd pump as much as I could prior to the surgery, and if baby is hungry, they'll eat. They might also just wait for you to be available again, which, best case scenario, will only be a few hours.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh, I just re read and see his age. Assuming you can nurse after the surgery, which in most cases you can, I think he will be fine with solids while you are apart.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would allow him to eat, and offer the formula as well as yogurt....I'd also blend the formula with the yogurt and offer it in a sippy cup or bottle
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010