Lifestyle?

This genuinely confuses me everytime I see it. I see people say that they do not agree with the 'gay/homosexual lifestyle'. What does that mean? What is a gay lifestyle? How is it a lifestyle? What are the earmarks of this lifestyle besides being attracted to and possibly having sex with someone of the same gender/sex? How is it different than a heterosexual lifestyle? I just really do not get how it is a lifestyle.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't get the whole "lifestyle" part either. I have no problems or issues or anything of the sort with gays and/or lesbians. Everyone should be entitled to live their life, judgement free, based on their sexual orientation, race, religion, etc. although our world doesn't operate that way.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is referred to as "lifestyle" because there is no proof to prove the contrary. At this time there is no proof that proves people are born with it or that it is genetic. There was a study that pointed to a possible genetic link, but the study was small and they haven't been able to repeat the results.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• except YSL to prove is you could ask GAY PEOPLE! a MAJORITY said they were BORN THAT WAY

Its is just another way to SEPERATE them

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Lifestyle -- the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

Everybody has a lifestyle. You do. I do. That word really has nothing to do with whether or not homosexuality is something you are born with or something you can choose.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yourspecial - Actually there is one study done in the 70s that has been replicated numerous times that points to a genetic factor. Each time it is done it is done in a double blind fashion yet the results are always the same. Brains of homosexual females are similar in structure to that of heterosexual males. And the brains of homosexual males are similar in structure to that of heterosexual females.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• purpleducky, POINTING to and proving are 2 different things. They have not had any studies with conclusive findings, just as I said in my original comment.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think people say that to try to cram it all into one neat little package. It's easier to say "lifestyle' rather than looking deeper into why they are so "against" someone who happens to be gay. It's about summing up a person in one shot, judging them and walking away still being able to feel "good" about themselves. Yet, really they are empty inside and lash out at others instead of fixing their own hearts.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well we do not choose how our brains are structured so it has to be genetic or environmental and by what I know they have not found any common environmental factors. What more proof do you want? You want them to hunt down the exact gene? Do you know how hard that is and that it isn't even done for most disorders and diseases that are known to be genetic? And I am NOT saying homosexuality is a disorder or disease, just using that as a comparison.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• purple...they could have a study that says conclusively that gays are born that way and people will not "buy" it. It's just how some people are. The bottom line is, there shouldn't have to be a "study" either way, for others to treat gays with respect and love. It's a shame some are insistent that gays are "less than" because of one aspect of their lives. Meanwhile these same people are self proclaimed "sinners", yet call out gays for their "sins".
    Hypocrites.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• - Actually there is one study done in the 70s that has been replicated numerous times that points to a genetic factor. Each time it is done it is done in a double blind fashion yet the results are always the same. Brains of homosexual females are similar in structure to that of heterosexual males. And the brains of homosexual males are similar in structure to that of heterosexual females.

NUFF said- pretty clear....same results, every.time. double blind; brain structure-  How stubborn can 1 be to deny such results?

Semantics game-when the FACTS are presented. Homophobia is scary

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010