Is it ok to do this with my newborn?

She will only sleep for extended periods of time in her infant carrier carseat. I only put her in this to sleep around the house when I REALLY need her to sleep. For example I am sick right now and I am trying to rest as much as possible and take care of my two year old as well. Otherwise she will be up pretty much all day unless she falls alseep in my arms. Then I put her in her crib only to have her eyes pop right open again. I don't like doing this but I am desperate right now. Is this ok to do now and then when I just need her to sleep? Will she get use to this seat and not want to sleep anywhere else like her crib?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not the worst thing. I can totally relate. We do what we can to get our babies to sleep!
    Where does she sleep at night? Are you co-sleeping? Does she do okay on your bed alone?
    My son REFUSED his crib until about 11 months, and even then, he BARELY accepted it.
    Particularly when you are sick, cut yourself a break. You can work on her sleep habits when you are well.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Has your child ever been checked for acid reflux? My son would only sleep in an angled up possition like a carrier. swing, or in my arms and my PED said it was because it eased the symptoms.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son only naps in his bouncer and he's 6 mos old. At first it bothered me, but he sleeps at night in his crib. I figured, as long as he's getting good naps in during the day, I'm not going to stress. At some point he's going to outgrow the bouncer, literally, so it might be tough trying to get him to nap in his crib. Your baby probally likes the coziness of the carseat, can't blame her.
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah I think it is perfectly fine when you are sick and need a break. The best would be to teach her to sleep in a proper bed (they say the sitting position in the carseat is not very good on their backs), but for now, just do what gives you a break.
    My son was a fussy sleeper as well. I found good books to help me, such the Baby Whisperer from Tracy Hogg and the Sleepsense by Dana Obleman which might help you to find a solution too.
    Just get well for now, and take care of yourself!
    maminti

Answer by maminti at 9:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think that sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get by. That being said, have you tried swaddling? She probably likes the close, "hugged" feeling of being in the car seat. A swaddler with velcro can help with that. Also, if you have a bassinette or cradle or something that's smaller than her crib, she may feel more secure in it while she's so little.
    ZoeyBethsMomma

Answer by ZoeyBethsMomma at 9:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• she is safe and sleeping and your right there. I let my little girl who is ten months now sleep in her swing every night when she was an infant. she loved it. Your fine they change so quickly and grow so fast. dont worry about it.
    thirdmamma03

Answer by thirdmamma03 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• its not a big deal...she need the sleep more than you need to worry about it being in her car seat. My first son would only sleep in his swing....yup every nap and almost every night till it wouldnt swing anymore....lol :) but he needed the sleep and so did i. But now my second son will only sleep in his crib which stinks cause if we go out of the house for anything he doesnt get a nap till we get home.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• well I think it's fine my son would only fall asleep on his car seat when he was born
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My youngest is almost 3 months old and has always slept where ever I can get him to fall asleep.  For awhile he would only sleep if I rocked him in his carseat (once he was asleep I could stop rocking him).

My older son also slept in his carseat for most of the first 3 months of his life because of his reflux.  It was the only place he was comfortable.  Once his reflux got better we started putting him to sleep in his bassinet and he never fussed. 

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Try baby wearing with her too. That way she can sleep and be "held". It is ok to do on occasion, but my nephew got torticolis (sp?) a neck muscle issue, from sleeping in his all the time.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010