how do you push during labor?

I just want to be prepare

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Pull legs back as far as possible and roll yourself around your belly. Chin to chest and bare down like you need to go to the bathroom.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• like you have to hsve a bowel movement.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Sounds gross, but basically it's like you're pooping. They even told me that in the delivery room, I believe it was
    "bare down as hard as you can like you are going to the bathroom." Oy. But, I guess it worked! Good luck!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yep, try to push like the others said. Like you need to poop and it's stuck. If you don't, labor will take forever.

And yes, you may poop on the table. The doc and nurses have seen it before and they will have it cleaned up before you even think about it.

With that being said, it was the only thing I thought about during the whole labor. Everyone said that I wouldn't think about it but I did and it bothered me. Everytime I pushed, I wondered if this would be the one that would make me poop. Thankfully since my labor lasted so long, I didn't have any thing to push out (other than baby) by that time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Actually, I was on my back and pushed hard enough to burst a vessel in my eye.

Next time, I won't "purple push" and I won't be on my back. I also won't pull my legs back or push on count.

I WILL get into whatever position feels best and wait until I have the pushing urge and only push as much as I feel the need to. I WILL let nature help with gravity and let the contractions push baby out. I now realize that you don't really have to push as hard as I did.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Theres nothing anyone can say to prepare you for whats coming....its just an unexplainable feeling and your body will take over and do what it needs to do. Trust in yourself...I know your anxious right now but you'll know what to do when the times comes as if youve been doing it all your life. its amazing how your instincts will kick in.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Your body will push on its own - then just help it out! :D My last pregnancy there was nothing I could do to stop the pushing. I even remember the nurse and doctor commenting that my body was pushing involuntarily! They say even in a coma a woman's body will push the baby out! I also DIDN'T push when they told me to, but my body didn't feel like pushing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• yes, I agree with all the mommys obove you'll know beacause your going to feel like you need to go to the bathroom
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Your instincts will tell you how to push and what position is best to push in, which is not typically on your back.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010