is it normal?

I am currently taking some medical classes trying to become an ultrasound technician. I lost my mother when i was 10 almost 11 years ago now she was burned 85 to 90 percent of her body and lived a week in a burn unit after she was burned when she finally drowned because her lungs filled up with water trying to flush out the previously inhaled smoke. I had a teacher for health class which is required for you to take to graduate in my state, 2 years after my mother passed away that forced me look and participate in a project that include me looking at a burn victim who was in a drunk driving car accident. i tried hard to complete it but i just couldn't when i told her why i did not do the project she told me to grow up and get over it. everytime now when a teacher in college states even one thing about burn i wince and want to run out of the room. is it normal after 11 years to still have those feelings?

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 9:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I would probably be the same way as you are. I think it is perfectly normal and that your teacher was kinda cruel. I am sorry for your loss, and good luck on graduating!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The teacher that told you to grow up and get over it was a cruel and insensitive &^%$. Bless your heart.... ((((hugs)))))....of course it is a normal reaction......this is your mama we are talking about, and that is pretty traumatic...and you were just a little girl when it happened, and frankly it would have traumatized adults too....take care of yourself, and be gentle with yourself as you try to heal....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• and sry i didnt have a enough room to put it but is there any pretty much free therapy to get better at not wanting to run out of the room. i was thinking to discuss it with my teachers but I thaught it would be kinda dumb to do that.
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• What happends when you really have a burned patient? Can you deal with that? Maybe your teacher is trying to inroduce you to those burn victims with pictures before you have to face the real deal (but she could have been a little nicer about it).
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• the teacher that forced me to look at the papers was i was 13 in junior high about 2 to 3 years after she passed away. and i am going for an ultrasound tech. normally ultrasound techs do not deal with burn victims.
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• In the medical field you will see a variety of things such as that and sometimes may be worse. In a medical setting you have to be strong to deal what a variety of heart breaking issues and during your shift you can not ask to be release of your duties when certain patients need assistance. Maybe the medical field is not the right path for you.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010