Medical transcription?

I've though about doing medical transcription from home. Does anyone else do this? I need some advice as to how to get started. I have a BS degree in Health Information/Hospital Administration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MagnoliaQueen

Asked by MagnoliaQueen at 9:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Find out first in your area if there is job that lets you do that at home and if you have to work around there schedule. I went in to school for this. Was told yes you can work part time, yes you can work around your own schedule and you do have to work for 6 months before you do. Well I found out. I will have to work 2 yrs at the office and if they say I can work at home I have to work around there schedule. So here I went to school racked up 10,000 in school loans I am paying and no job in that feild. Plus be care there are programs that are taking over this field too. Where the Dr does not need to higher anyone for this. A computer program does it for them.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• most of the ads you see for that are b.s. my suggestion would be to contact a hospital or physician group to find out where their billing is done and then contact any real agency that actually does that work. personally with that degree i would think there is alot you can do other than transcription work - such as EAP account/program management - with all the other weird things going on in insurance and healthcare, it seems that this market still is a good one that allows employers to offer some benefits at a very inexpensive price while they continue to take other employee benefits away and jack up health care premiums.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You could start your own medical transcription business.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm taking classes for this now. I contacted the local college where I live and got enrolled in a program. You can do the work online when you finish school. I don't know how your degree might change things for you, you might not have to take any more classes. I do know that you don't have to work only in your area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010