did people bet on your marriage?

we've all done it- someone gets engaged or married and we wonder how long it will last. There are some that we think will last forever, and others that you wonder will last 6 months.

DH and I were the one that many didn't think would make it to the alter, then they didn't think the marriage would last. We've now been married 11 years.
side note: we didn't know each other long when we got engaged, we met in a unusual way, lots of things that raised eyebrows.

so, anyone else?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• idk..if they did, no one's owned up to it. my sister was shocked to learn her BBF had bet on her marriage..she told me, ''do you know what denice said? she said she'd only given us a year!!''..and i said, ''really? so she gave you the benefit of the doubt?!?!''

now, i'm curious..i may have to start asking our friends/family about our 'bets'. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have a similar story. We met in March of 99,spent all our free time together,and were married in December of 99. So if you do the math,we too have been married 11 years. Our families bet we wouldn't make it a year. How sad is that!?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh people were definitely betting against us from the moment we met. I think our mother's may have been conspiring to make sure we didn't make it. We were engaged 2 weeks after we met, we also met in an unusual way, and he was kind of wild, I was very conservative.

We've been married 22 years!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• *BFF*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Not that I know of, but my husband actually started to activily persue me when we first started dating because his dad bet him that I wouldn't even bother with him. lol Go figure! We've known each other forever, so it was weird when we started dating, but I had had a crush on him for YEARS before that.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Not that I know of But I know some members of his family did not like me in the begining We met when I was 16 so Im sure members of his family thought it wouldnt last 12 yrs of marriage we are still together cant imagine life without my papi!
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• everyone thought we wouldnt make it 6 months but we have been for a year and a half we still have family trying to tear us apart. i hate his family he hates mine and our familys hate each other so it works out cuz we can make them all mad
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 10:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yes everyone was betting that we would not last a year, so many factors, 8 year age diff, I was 20 when we got married, step kids (4) and 13 years later, we are sitll together.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, we got married fast also, and one of my STBX's (yes, we're divorcing after 6 years) friends stopped talking to him because he thought he would never be able to hang out with him anymore (which is stupid), and he told people that our marriage wouldn't last anyway. This man never even met me.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• my DH and I have only been married 2 yrs but together 3 and my family has a betting chart on their wall for all the married couples in our family it's a running family joke...so far my uncle is winning the bet on us...everyone else bet under 3 yrs because they figured my children (DH's step children) are teens and would so scare him away but he actually has become their closest friend and now they call him dad because he has been there for them since their bio-father has abandoned them completely and my uncle said till death...well when he wins I guess it wont matter because he is well into his 60's right now...I wonder who will collect that $500.00 bet???...LOL
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 12:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010