Attending a Wedding

My SO's brother (who has also been my friend for 14 years) is getting married on the 30th, I couldn't be more excited for him! Problem is that my SO's family is NOT fond of me, and I found out last night that we have to drive to pick up his paternal G-mother on the way there... I've not met her in all the 14 years I have known them, but I'll be in the car with her for several hours. Any suggestions on how to keep the tension down? (there is NO telling what they've said about me... and to make matters worse, we've been together for 2 years, but only recently told the family)

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Since you've never met her, maybe you can greet her with a gift. That is kind of saying "I'm so pleased to meet my boyfriends grandmother". Some may think that it's kissing butt, but most old ladies love that sort of thing & it is very old fashioned to greet elders with a gift. My mom always hated most of my brothers girlfriends. But,= one time, one of his dates greeted my mother with a scarf that she brought from Japan....you can betcha that she was all of a sudden my mothers favorite of all my brother's girlfriend. Sometimes, like at work, kissing butt is annoying. But, it can be sweet when done to your brothers grandmother. If there is anything she collects or is into, ask your SO. Maybe she collects cow creamers or something. Since you've never met her, i think it would be a wonderful way to greet her. AND, i betcha she'll like you a bit more. Who doesn't love a little gift?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, here's the thing...how often do you see the other's? Never? Just carry on like she is your best friend and do so with everyone there. Act like they are your closest family and you just love them to pieces. In other words, kill them with so much kindness and sweet that they choke to death on the sugar. They can't say/think anything bad about you. And you will have a grand time acting while there. That's what I would do. It will just eat them up from the inside.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have 14 years of history with them, I was very close with the family growing up- their main issue with me is from a religious stand point (oh, mainly that I had a child out of wedlock as well). THAT approach does not work with the siblings (he is the eldest of 9), nor with his mother.... *le sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would say just be yourself. Be nice and polite but dont overkill it so that it seems like you are kissing butt. If they cant accept you for being yourself then dont change just to please them.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry...lol, your BOYFRIEND'S grandmother.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I like the idea of a gift like samurai suggested. I understand feeling nervous going there having never met her and not knowing what the rest of the family has said, but TRY to act like you have no idea that they've been talking about you.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 12:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010