How do you deal with your depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I took SAM-E for several months. It worked okay, but gave me headaches. Then I tried St John's Wort. (I had read that it is widely prescribed in Europe and has few side-effects.) It worked for the depression, but reduces the effects of oral contraception.

What worked best for me was getting my thyroid under control, and (here's the HARD one) cutting waaaaaay back on sweets. Also regular exercise and meditation actually help a lot. But still, if I have a really sugary dessert, the next day my mood is low.

I would think twice about Rx antidepressants. Their efficacy has been proven spotty in double blind testing, and most have some pretty nasty side-effects; particularly in young adults. Like: suicide. Listen to the long list of crappy side -effects they spew on their commercials. :-\
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am still trying to deal. I just look at my daughter and honestly it makes it a little better. IMO therapists do not really work for me. I'll just wait and see what the other ladies have to say.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have never considered myself depressed. After a few months of different issues I went to the dr who diagnosed me w/ PMDD. She prescribed Celexa but I have decided to try birth control pills to see if that will help. And as a last resort take the Celexa.
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have been on antidepressants for a couple years now.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 10:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010