imaginary friends

My ydd has three of them. She has recently taken to blaming them for bold things she does. I understand for the most part. I have actually disciplined them, but I tell her next time they will both be punished. My dh however, dislikes his behavior and doesnt want me letting her getting away with things. I have tried to explian to him is normal and she will outgrow it. Am I wrong for dealing with it like this? Or am I on the right track?

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are definitely on the right track. Especially by telling her that they both get punished the next time. Keep it up mom. You are fostering trust and a keen imagination.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think you are doing fine and she will learn not to blame others for what she does when you punish them both. Keep it up
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You are doing good! My son sees things all the time .. but i dont think they are imaginary i think he just see spirits
    ReeCee

Answer by ReeCee at 4:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• actually I think what you are doing is fine and probably great advice for other kids with imaginary friends :).

Although getting her out and finding play dates with real friends might help cut back on the imaginary ones.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree with you! That's a great way to handle it. My five year old twins each have an imaginary friend (whom they've named Alex and JoJo) and they sometimes get blamed for stuff. It happens a lot less now since they've been in school.
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Imaginary friends are totally typical! Blaming them for things is typical too! Kids try to get out of just about anything and if they are creative enough to try to shift the blame, you have to give them credit for trying. I don't mean to let them know it was creative, but just realize that yourself! Tell her that she is responsible for her friends behavior when they are "visiting". Let her know that when you invite someone over to the house that your are responsible for them too. I agree with not letting her get away with things but having her be responsible for them and having the consequences is not letting her get away with anything. You could also suggest to her that she tell her imaginary friends "what is the right thing to do". That way she can feel some pride and responsibility when "they make good choices."
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010