Why do some people name call because they aren't understood?

Ok. So, if you decide to answer a question, and the person isn't "getting" it, how important is your point if you have to name call? Isn't the "speaker" responsible for the communication being understood?

manna1qd

Asked by manna1qd at 9:53 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• that's true. if the person answering the question doesn't answer it in a way that you understand, their job is to find another way to explain it so that you'll understand. sometime i have to give my husband the same answer 3 or 4 different ways before he full understands what i'm saying. it's get frustrating cuz you think they would get it the first time, but not everyone's brain repsond the same way. so you have to appeal to them. relate it to something they love doing, or want to be.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I believe that people use name calling as an ego booster. I think that is a way of feeling like they are "right" or if they aren't understood, they don't want to feel dumb so they use name calling as a way to avoid feeling insecure. I think its a sort of self defense. My suggestion is not to take the name calling, personally. All the names that may be used against you is whatever they think about themselves. You can choose to be patient with that person so they can not feel like they need to be defensive, or you can choose to not deal with that person at all if they cant handle the conversation. There is no point in that kind of disrespect toward loved ones for reasons of insecurity.
    andiew

Answer by andiew at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2008