Allowances

Do your children get an allowance? If so, how much? What do they have to do for it? How old are they?

We are giving our kids (7 and 9) $5 a week for the chores that I have them do daily, but we have told them that we will take a quarter each time they do something they shouldn't. So far it seems to be working great!

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son doesn't really get an allowance but he does have a piggy bank that I put change into that I have left over at the end of the day. But he's not allowed to spend it unless he's good and I agree with what he wants. :)
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 7:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I do allowance with my 5 year old. It's incentive for her and if she wants something like a toy, or a trip to McDonalds why shouldn't she learn that not everything is handed to her. I don't make her work for her food, clothes, or place to stay. My daughter gets $5 a week if she feeds her hamster and cleans up after herself/keeps her room clean.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't believe in paying kids to contribute to the upkeep of a home I'm providing for them. We all live here and we all need to pitch in and keep it clean.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My oldest is 7 and we haven't started allowances yet. I haven't even thought about when we'll start.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 10:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Every payday I give my nine-year-old a dollar to do with as he wishes.....there are a lot of theories on the allowance thing and I have never come to a good conclusion with what is best...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We don't give an allowance.  The kids are expected to do their chores and help with taking care of the house because they are part of the household.  I don't get paid to clean up and neither do they.

Besides we found allowances don't work for our kids.  They actually did less chores when we offered an allowance (or some other reward system) because they wanted to know what each chore was worth and if they didn't like the amount they refused to do the chore.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We just started this whole allowance thing this week with our kids. They start out with $5. But for every chore that they take too long to do, or every bad grade/note they bring home from school (thankfully we don't have to worry about that one, at least not yet), or everytime they fight or argue with each other, or if they fight or argue with us, or whenever they don't do as they are told, they lose a quarter of it.
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Ditto what IhartU and justanotherjen said! We do not use the allowance system. My husband works outside of the home for our monthly income, I handle most all of the household chores, and our children are responsible for cleaning up after themselves.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010