Divorce

From a religious stand point, how do you view divorce when there is abuse involved?

Do you believe that an abuser can be redeemed through the blood of the lamb?

What, in your mind constitutes abuse?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you believe the abuser can be redeemed through the blood of the lamb??? No. I am not being mean when I say this. I am talking from a medical stand point here. It has to be his choice. The higher self can put a bug in his ear but it is up to him to follow it.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I know a woman who was in an abusive marrige, she finally got divorced, after her then husband broke both the babys legs! I am not kidding. I don't believe in getting divorced just because you can, or because you don't want to try to work it out, but if the abuser in the marrige will not seek any sort of help at all, you have no choice but to divorce and keep your kids away.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Do you believe that an abuser can be redeemed through the blood of the lamb?

Yes, but I agree with A.Perry
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I dont' think it matters what faith a person is. NOBODY should stay in a relationship where they are verbally and physically abused. I know I wouldn't. And "Blood of the Lamb" would only work if said abuser thought there was a problem.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am just talking from personal experience you know? It is a choice to believe or not believe It is a choice to fix yourself or not. No one can force your hand :)
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am a DV survivor and I do not feel that Religion of any kind should have or dictate the choice of a Divorce if there
    is abuse of any kind including, mental, physical and sexual....
    As for the OP's ?... can the abuser be saved? Since I am not a Christian, then I would hope not... but I have read
    many times from Christians here and IRL that as long as you voice it, then you are...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Now, I do believe that faith can help someone in working towards ending their behaviors, but it involves commitment and effort from the individual.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• bandgeek I am right there with ya :) It is possible to be saved but it is a choice :)
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I could never answer this question for anyone else, only myself.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Our bodies are the Lord's temple. I do not believe he'd want us to allow his temple to be mistreated. So I believe someone of faith in an abusive relationship could leave without guilt.

As far as redemption for the abuser, "if we confess our sins God who is faithful and just will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010