I don't want to continue breast feeding. It's not working out for me. I am in a lot of pain and I just want to switch to formula. My baby is 2 weeks old and I don't know how to get her to take the bottle. How do I get her to take it?

we have been bfing for 2 weeks
I am using the nuk bottles and nipples.
good start formula
I know this is a selfish decision so don't tell me about it.

mandaface

Asked by mandaface at 10:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first 2-3 weeks are the hardest and it does get better.

But if you are determined not to BF, then I'll keep my opinion to myself and give you a bump.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You have to do it slowly or you really will hurt. Replace one meal a day with formula until you are done.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's not selfish to not want to be in pain every time you feed your baby. That's normal unless you are a masochist lol.

You are really early, though. Breastfeeding can be very hard for about the first six weeks. If you stick it out, go to a La Leche League meeting, get some help and support and figure out why it's hurting you still, you can continue, and it WILL stop hurting.

If you don't want to breastfeed for other reasons, that's okay too. I encourage you to keep trying because breastfeeding really is best for you and baby, but to get baby to take a bottle you just offer that. Over and over again. She will take it eventually. Try having someone else offer it at first and see if that helps.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I tend to agree that after the first few weeks it DOES get easier, and would recommend giving it a little longer, maybe seeing an IBCLC or LLL leader, or go to a LLL meeting, to FIX whatever the problem is, but if you are sure that you would like to wean, yes, replace one feeding per week with formula. This is one of the best parent led weaning methods as it is gradual, and easier on baby, and your body.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Nothing selfish about it. It's your decsion and nobody has the right to make you feel bad about it. As far as introducing the bottle, just offer it to her every time she's hungary. Have your hub offer it to her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I gotta tell ya, it gets much easier. Those lactation consultants and books say "It shouldn't hurt". But by golly, it DOES. Your nipples hurt so bad you want to scream when baby latches on, they crack, they bleed. It can be pretty bad for awhile. But if, in your heart, you want to stick it out- do try, because it WILL get better soon.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You are in the hardest time for breast feeding right now. It will get MUCH easier! I stopped nursing my first at 2 weeks and have always regretted it. But if you want to stop, do what above poster said. Replace one feeding every few days with a bottle. Do it slowly. Otherwise you will get terribly engorged. Try a different brand bottle. Pump and put your milk in it so it is familiar at first.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well I am home alone with the baby all day, no one else here to try to give her a bottle for me . I breastfed my son for 6 months and did really well. I only stopped because I went back to work and I don't pump. Not only am I in pain, but I am going to have to go back to work as soon as I can. I figure I will just stop now so that she is used to it before then.
    mandaface

Comment by mandaface (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree with MOMPAM..I too stopped at 2 weeks b/c of being in pain and not sure who to talk to. I wish I had just stuck it out. BFing is just soo much easier. It really got aggravating making sure bottles were cleaned and formula was in the diaper bag. With BFing the meal is always with you and there is no way you can forget the milk. Try and go to the meetings and get help before you give up.
    chrissi0103

Answer by chrissi0103 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Also, I feel like I am having problems producing on one side. I only ever feel the let down or fullness on the left side once or twice a day and the right side does it a lot. I get engorged on the right side (the one that is causing so much pain.) When she latches on to the right it literally feels like I have needles shooting out of my nipple. The left side doesn't hurt but She often get frustrated with it when it feels really empty.
    mandaface

Comment by mandaface (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010