Divorce question.

We are meeting with an attorney today and I need help with the list of things I need to address. such as possessions, child support, visitation etc... What all should I have on that list to be prepared?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Child custody. will you have joint decision making or will you disagree on everything? In that case one of you needs full custody which has nothing to do with visitation. Who will carry the insurance on the kids. Any 401K or pension plans, savings, how will college be split for the children.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The kids will be living with me full time and he will see them every other weekend...this is our plan.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've never been through a divorce, but it sounds like you have it covered. Think of everything that goes on in your day to day life -- if you need to address something with him -- write it down. Like taking the kids to the doctor: who does it? or who's going to carry kids on health insurance, etc.
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That is only visitiation arrangements. Custody is who gets to make the decisions about how they are raised...schools they go to, medical arrangements, even religious attendance.
    If you can't make simple decisions about how they are raised such as which school they go to, then one of you needs full custody.
    Whatever visitation you decide, make sure that you get it in writing.
    also, if you plan on ever moving out of state or further away, you might want to look at what provisions you can put in for that. Also, who will be providing transportation on visitation days.
    As for medical, you need to decide who will cover them and what you will do about any co pay or gap amount that insurance won't cover.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Make sure you clearly explain how you will claim the kids each year for tax purposes. Get that down in writing, each year it's always a big fight with divorced people I know. 401K plans. How those will be split. How dr. visits will be paid. Visitations down in writing. What bills go to who... ex. You get the Walmart credit card bill, he gets the home depot credit card bill. If you sell your house, who gets what %. (same with the cars) Who gets what furniture, electronics, etc. Who will pay school tuition and who is responsible for college savings, etc...
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I will have full custody...they will be living with me full time. He will see them every other weekend.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• They will have a temporary orders meeting at court to have both parties agree on the things you mentioned - this will happen way before you go to court for the divorce. It's so that you have an agreement on what needs to be done in the meantime: custody and visitation arrangements, payments for child support, possessions (what either of you is keeping from the home, cars). The attorney will cover everything. Best wishes.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• bumpHere's a bump for ya!!!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010