Is this normal?

Alright mamas, I'm back with another question this week! I am on my 3rd pregnancy and it has been by far the hardest....and most painful! lol. Here is the situation:

I'm 34 weeks (she is measuring 36 weeks) am 1 cm dilated. I've had a lot of braxton hicks contractions for the last 2 months BUT for the past 3 days I have been having REALLY painful contractions (they feel like REAL LABOR contractions) the only problem is they are not consistent. They are about every 20 - 30 minutes apart, they are very strong and aren't getting weaker. My back is hurting realllllly bad as well. I also lost part of my mucus plug 2 days ago and the baby dropped about 3 days ago. So, my question is, is this normal? What in the world is going on? Its like I feel like I'm going into labor but the contractions just aren't consistent. Thanks for any advice!

MommieIsSexay

Asked by MommieIsSexay at 11:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Did you ask your doctor?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It is normal and it is your body preparing itself for the big day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I would go to the hospital. My contractions were not close together either when I was pregnant, but I was in active labor. I was miserable.

I wouldn't wait. Especially if you're uncomfortable. And being that you're already slightly dilated, I'd go. You're probably a little further than they may think, or she's just ready to come now.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It sounds like prodromal labor, which can go on for weeks, or turn into labor in short order. Because you are so early (I almost never make this suggestion lol), I'd recommend speaking to your health care provider about it. Forget about the baby measuring 36 weeks, that means nothing, really, fundal height measurements are SUPPOSED to be within 2 cm of dates, and ultrasound measurements are notoriously inaccurate. Just focus on staying pregnant for at least another two weeks if you can.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• call doc to be safe.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 11:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks for all of your help! I called the doc and my nurse said I should go to the hospital to get checked out b/c it could be labor. We will see. Thanks!
    MommieIsSexay

Comment by MommieIsSexay (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010