Abuse within the church

How many of you who attend religious meetings with your children have done background checks on the workers/volunteers/pastors?

Do you feel that your children are "safe" because they are in church?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I would never leave my child alone with any adult
    bakebiscotti

Answer by bakebiscotti at 12:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• More abuse happens in churches than anywhere else, because people feel that their kids are safe, and do not take necessary precautions of their OWN

Actually, most abuse is in the home.....again, common sense...
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i don't know that there's ever been a 'two-adult rule', but that's just how is usually is--possibly because its easier to get someone to 'volunteer' if they know they aren't the only one in charge of a room full of kids.
    the only time i've been wary has been when we've visited a new church, and do not know anyone. plus, i never let him go with strangers, no matter where we happen to be.
    heck, OP, i still worry everyday when i go pick him up for school if he'll be there, sitting with the rest of the kids. my heart races until i see his face!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I haven't personally, but our church participates in a Safe Sanctuary policy where those who work with the children have to have background checks, and work with them in groups of two, and other measures - its pretty common in the UMC nowadays, I believe, for this Safe Sanctuaries policy to be in effect....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• There are background checks done on everyone, I feel they are as safe there as anywhere else. I've talked to my kids a lot about abuse and hope they would talk to me if they were ever uncomfortable about another adult.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I don't blindly trust everyone (or anyone), so background checks are immaterial to me (although I sure would be grateful to hear if someone was a known abuser). If background checks were clear, it may be X simply hadn't been caught yet or even mean all of them were still capable of abusing at some point in the future. Statisically, if I can put it like that, My children are 'likely' to be safe inside our congregation. But I've never yet let them go off alone until they are self aware and able to defend and fearlessly report anything they are unhappy about.

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 3:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We don't go to church.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• We don't either!! Too many people judging u!!!! That is Gods job to judge!! Not theirs!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The Archdiocese where we attend Mass requires background checks on all of the volunteers who come into contact with children (I know this because I volunteer). Additionally, no person is to be alone with children - two adults need to be present at all times. I think my children are safe.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am a church worker, my husband and I teach Sunday School for 4-6th grade. I also work in the church nursery. I grew up in the church, so the pastor knows whether or not I have a criminal record, but he runs background checks on everyone (including me, who he's known since I was 11) who works with kids in the church. He keeps them on file so people with concerns can request them. So far no one has, but they are there for those that want to see.

Also, we have a rule where two adults need to be present at all times.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010