is it ok to drink a glass of wine or 1 beer while breastfeeding?

klece

Asked by klece at 2:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Health

• I've heard both answers from DR's. Me personally I wouldn't do it because I would want to make sure that I'm only eating healthy and nutritious items. remember that everything you eat is being filtered through you into your child.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:16 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I've heard it's ok as long as you don't breastfeed right after you drink it. Personally I don't drink and I especially wouldn't if I was breastfeeding. Good luck though!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I was doing research on that one... They say if you drink it right after you breastfeed, and you don't nurse again for two to three hours afterwards you should be ok. Personally, if I had drank a beer while nursing my son, I would make sure I had milk put up for him, and pump the milk when it was time, but throw it out. And give him the "pure" milk.
    Mummyofone

Answer by Mummyofone at 2:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes. Safe to drive, safe to nurse. Generations of European women will attest to it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• yes, it's fine, just wait a bit to breastfeed... and i wouldn't make it a daily habit. actually beer can help milk come in and wine, well, it can just help relax a nervous mom who is having trouble breastfeeding.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yes - actually I was having severe insomnia during my pregnancy and the doctor told me to have a glass of wine before bed every night. I didn't have it that often but I did drink like 2 glasses a week.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 7:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I never did just to be on the safe side. It still affects your milk. Ask your dr.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 9:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You are going to get lotsa different answers on this one, I'd ask the doc.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 7:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• yep, i sometimes have a glass of wine now that i'm breastfeeding, and i've read and been told by a doctor that it's okay, as long as it's no more than that. and i really have more like half a glass, usually. i do time it after i've breastfed and my baby's gone down for the night b/c i know it will be at least 5 hours before i feed him again. i read somewhere where the amount of alcohol that passes into breastmilk from one glass of wine or one beer is negligible.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008