Epidural?

Has anyone opted not to get one? Did you use something else? If so what?

AugustMidge

Asked by AugustMidge at 11:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get one. I didn't use anything except will power and knew if I didn't it would all be over soon and I would be fine. I was right. 7 hours and done. And I could walk to the bathroom and shower right afterwards.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've never had one, but I've never given birth in a hospital either. With my current pregnancy, I'm going to be having a waterbirth at home...any day now!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have had two births without pain medication, the first in the hospital, and the second at home. I used a doula for support in the hospital, and the doula I had at home was mostly a babysitter for my older child lol. Both times I ended up just toning (long, low notes) to get through contractions, and with my second, counter pressure (pressure applied to the back part of your pelvis) was helpful. Just having people I loved and trusted around helped a lot. Standing and sitting upright helped with the pain a lot too. Being vocal helped me.

I suggest hiring a doula for sure. You can find them for free if you need to. It's a huge help.

I must say, giving birth without pain meds is SO rewarding. I loved it and felt so strong both times. It's amazing.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Didn't have one (or any drugs) with any of mine... It's short lived (except for my last labor, which lasted 8 days! lol), there isn't a point at which the benefit outweighs the risk. There simply is not.
    If you're calm, your body produces its own pain killers. If I had it to do all over again, I would have had ALL of my babies @ waterbirths, that by far was the least painful, best experience of them all...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:52 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• It's true. Research and read up on EVERYTHING. Go in there knowing more than the doctor and KNOW you can do it. Women that go in with that attitude are more likely to go without pain meds than those that go in thinking, "I am going to try, but, I know there is all sorts of meds available." And "I will listen to my doc and nurses, they are gods that never make mistakes." LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I didn't have one with my first child and was so happy that I was able to get up and walk around and shower immediately afterward.

I did cave and get one with my second child (I'd been in the hospital for an entire night for observation due to unexplained bleeding, which led to an induction due to the onset of high blood pressure and even though they removed the Pitocin once my water broke, the contractions were still WAY worse than I remembered from the first time around and plus I was exhausted from having had NO sleep the night before. It was NOT an ideal situation) Anyway, looking back on it, I really wish I hadn't had the epidural. My uterus completely stopped contracting once I delivered my daughter, which resulted in too much clotting and a dramatic drop in my blood pressure. Twelve hours post-partum, I passed out on my nurse and was out of commission for a few hours afterward. It was terrifying and I blame

arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• the epidural drugs for causing it.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 12:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've had 6 babies. Only two w/ epidurals. I prefer the non-epidural way for sure. I hated not being able to get up & move around at all. Hated after I had the baby not being able to go take a shower afterward immediately. If I have another child (if I do it will be the last one!), I am NOT having an epidural.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• See I like the sound of that!!!! I believe in mind over matter.
    AugustMidge

Comment by AugustMidge (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ha! I had one with my first 3, not with number 4 and it was the WORST experience of my life! Number 5 is due in Jan and I will deff get one!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010