How do I find out if my 8 month old is allergic to food?

She has eaten chocolate ice cream, white cake, and snickerdoodle cookies, and she breaks out all over her mouth when she eats them. Any ideas what she's allergic to?

BellasMom185

Asked by BellasMom185 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find out what the common ingredient is in all of those and elminate that from her diet. If she's breaking out with them all, the common ingredient has something to do with it.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• dairy would be my guess thats what they all have in common along with sugar.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• ask your doctor or ur pediatrician they can do tests to find out what shes allergic to....
    Ms.TM

Answer by Ms.TM at 12:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thank you! I just hate to have them prick her..
    BellasMom185

Comment by BellasMom185 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• first off why is your child eating all that crap. at that age they should only be eating healthy foods....anyway take her to the doctor, what they do is scratch tests where they make small scratches in the skin and on each one put a different ingredient and see which one makes the scratch break out
    Anonymous

• http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/skin-test
    Anonymous

• My son had a birthday so she had a bite of cake. She had a taste of a frostie. I'm not pouring junk food down her throat. Thanks for your "advice" tho
    BellasMom185

Comment by BellasMom185 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Wow, I think Anon must be mother of the year or something! Pity her child never gets a taste of any sweet stuff. I'd write down what she ate and bring her to the doctor where they could test for what may be causing it. I know it's not the most wonderful thing, the process of ruling out the allergy, but it's all for the best.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Dairy or wheat. Possibly both.

In anon's defense the way the post is worded makes it sound as if this junk-food ingestion is a common occurance. I've seen people give their babies under a year lollipops and entire cones and cans of soda (not that a child of 2 or 3 should be eating it either). I'd have to agree that they shouldn't be eating them. I had to practically threaten people not to give my baby junk (even tastes) for just this reason of allergic reactions and sugar overload.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My DD had the same symptoms around this age, and her food allergies got more severe over the next few months up to her first birthday to the point where she broke out in hives and vomited a few times from foods. We spoke to the pediatrician at her one year visit and he recommended a blood test to check for food allergies. I prefered this over the stick test that I expected, because at least it was just the one prick instead of many. DD handled it well and I think she fussed more from having her arm held still than from it being very painful. Anyway, we got back a list of what she is allergic to and found out that she is highly allergic to peanuts, as well as egg, dairy and soy. Because she was tested we were able to know what to watch for rather than having to do trial and error, and we got an epi pen in order to be prepared should something happen and she gets into nuts or something and really gets sick. It helps to know.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010