Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

If your child told you that they were abused

by a prominent member of your church community, how would you handle it?

Would you involve law enforcement, or let it be handled internally?


Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 34 (70,074 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (30)
  • While the "correct" response is law enforcement, I would have serious doubts between my family and the inlaws of the abuser ever surviving until trial.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 12:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Well, first I would be shocked they were in a church...

    Next, I'd be calling the police!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I'd go to the police and let them know they better get that person before I do!!

    Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • First I would kill someone, then ask questions later. Def, law enforcement!!

    Answer by Shanna84 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I'd be doing whatever I needed to do for my child, not caring how far I have to take it or who I have to upset.

    Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Police, source of abuse... Whatever it took to take so that my child and any other child
    will not suffer abuse by this person/ppl again...
    I live in a rural open country area.... many corn fields around.... this person better be making
    peace with his/her God ....


    Answer by gmasboy at 1:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • Before I called law enforcement I would do some law enforcement of my own!

    Answer by older at 2:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • I would go directly to law enforcement. Because if I got near enough to them to ask them about it, I would kill them.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • law enforcement first, ask questions later. id rather wrongly accuse someone of abuse than take a chance on a child being abused again.

    i think we've all seen how poorly things go when handled "internally"...i wouldnt risk it.

    Answer by okmanders at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

  • i'd go straight to the police.

    Answer by dullscissors at 12:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2010