Do you believe that an abuser can be "healed" of their illness?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• With chemical castration.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• YES, I do... However, I also believe that the vast majority never will. They don't CHOOSE to. I think it also depends on the type of abuse and why it's going on. A child who was abused is more likely to abuse someone else, and is mostly a coping mechanism rather than a want to harm... These people CAN be helped through intense therapy and medication... BUT, first they have to come forward and say "I have a problem" which most of them won't do. Also, the ones who are doing it because they enjoy it, CAN change, they CAN choose to change, and they CAN work through their issues (or at least choose not to act on their wants) BUT, they won't...

So CAN they be "cured"? sure. Do I think that more than a fraction of a percentage of them ever will be? NO, they don't want it bad enough.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• very few but they can get better, but you still have to leave, they need to help them-selfs first. But is most important is a spouse that does not put up with their B.S and leaves. If you stay they get worse.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think it depends on the abuse. I think a sexual abuser has a sexual obsession that can never truly be "healed".

I believe that some physical abusers can be healed. If I hadn't been raised by one I don't know if I would feel this way. My father abused us for many years. He raised his kids in the same fashion he was raised, completely ignorant to the wrong that he was doing. When my parents divorced and he was given the choice of therapy or jail it was a huge eye opener for him. He went into counseling and has since acknowledged that what he did was wrong. He hasn't raised a hand to anyone in twenty years. We've talked about what happened several times and he will always regret the choices he made.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No way. It is something in their heads that isn't going to just go away... They don't wake up one day and say hmm I think I am going to do this horrible thing today, it is something "built" (if i wil) inside of them... an extreme devil...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think if the person WANTS to change and gets the support/help to do it then they can

Do I think you or they can just pray and have them "healed" ...no
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No I really don't.  . It doesn't matter if a few are able to control it, the fact is the majority can't or won't so they need to be behind bars. They can look for forgiveness and work at becoming a better person from prison.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No, but I do believe that like anything else...alcohol addiction, drugs..etc.....they can learn other ways to cope and deal and live a normal non-abusive life
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• if they are physical abusers, yes, if they want to change. with that kind of abuse its usually "fixed" with anger management and taking out any prompters (alcohol, drugs, finances, etc).

sexual abusers...i dunno. ive yet to hear of any being truly cured...outside of castration...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No, they can't.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010