Is it easier to stay healthy when you are a working mom (out side the home) or a sahm.... or

does it vary person to person, location to location, job to job???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Health

• I personally would say working Mom is easier. I have been both and when you are home you have access to tons of food! lol Also as a SAHM I go out to various meet ups who sometimes provide junk food or we are too busy and we have to eat out etc. When I worked I brought set portions to work and had no choice but to eat just that along with my healhy snacks. I also belonged to the work gym and worked out everyday. I SAH now and have treadmill that hasn't been touched since my baby born in August. It;s much harder to get motivated. Though I am always on the go with the little ones and we dance etc here at the house so that helps.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 12:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I've been a SAHM for two years and I've lost 30 pounds in the past seven months. Even though I stay at home, I eat healthy and get enough exercise in with the heavy housework I do daily. I don't think it depends on the job the person has, but more on the person themself.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i don't think it's easier for either one. the working mom can make her own healthy lunch and bring it to work...or also there are Subway restaurants everywhere....sahms can buy and eat healthy foods at home...both have to want to eat healthy
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• For me it's much easier when I'm working... When I'm home all day I am constantly snacking...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I find it much easier when I work out of the home. I guess I don`t think about food as much.
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I found it easy to stay healthy both ways, but working outside the home definitely takes more effort to stay healthy. When I stayed home I had time to fix 3 healthy meals & plan out healthy snacks. I had time to chop veggies and measure out food, etc. Now that I work I find myself hitting up the vending machines and buying sodas in the break rooms. I work a lot & my job is demanding, so I don't feel like cooking & meal planning like I used to. But on my days off I cook meals that I can take to work w/ me. I rarely, if ever, get fast food for lunch. I put on a pot roast in the slow cooker one day, let is cook overnight, & had a wonderful lunch the next day at work. Also, it was hard finding time to do exercise when I had a younger baby. My job is fast paced and I'm on my feet most of the day. I've lost weight since working there...not from exercising, but simply from working. It's great.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree that it can go either way, depending on your situation and what you are able to make of it.

When I worked in an office, I brought my lunch and snacks, and walked at lunchtime with friends. My time was so limited that it was easy to stick to the good pattern I had established. When I stopped working outside the home, it took a while to learn not to over-snack. It was harder to get the same amount of exercise at first. When my kids were preschoolers, I could just take them for a long stroll. But when they were older, it was up to me to get out and walk alone. Gardening and vacuuming weren't enough, but they did help.

I guess the key is creating good habits and sticking to them -- whether your work is at home or outside somewhere.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• for me, working mom for sure. I have gained 30lbs since being laid off even with a active lifestyle!
    Tuesday503

Answer by Tuesday503 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That's funny I interpreted this question completely differently than the PPS.
    My answer is that I think working moms have a slight disadvantage because they are exposed to more germs. LOL. Didnt think about the "food" aspect at all.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010