Why does he do this?

As soon as my husband gets home from work, my son instantlly starts throwing a fit. We try everyday to discourage it, but he continues to do it. Any ideas why...and how to fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wants attention from Dad?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree. Attention. My son does that sometimes for attention.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 12:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I agree with PPs.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Maybe he knows that when Dad gets home Mom's attention isn't all focused on him anymore. There could be a bit of jealously there when Dad gets home. If that is the case, pick up your son when you greet Dad. Do things with your son and your husband too so he wont be left out?

Just trying to come up with ideas, it might not even be jealously.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son does the same thing. I think it's because he thinks he has to compete with his dad for my attention.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh all great advice! Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Definitely attention. My son does it sometimes too--usually if his dad and I try to have a conversation without him. Not really sure how to fix it, but usually my husband tries to spend a few minutes with my son as soon as he gets home, and we try to talk about his day at work and my day here a little bit later. That helps some, but sometimes it just delays the fit. He likes to be the center of attention all the time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010