when is it the right time to potty train my son?

his 22 months

angelsmommy12

Asked by angelsmommy12 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When he starts showing signs of readiness. Not wanting to keep a wet or dirty diaper on, standing by the toilet things like that. No certain age all kids get ready at different times.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I slightly disagree with the first two replies. When he shows signs of being 'trainable' yes but really try whenever YOU feel up to it above all. I tried my first son early when he fitted with the traditional signs and it was horrible for us both and I oddly felt unable to leave off trying once we'd started. I regret that. With my second son I waited until he was bang on 3. I had TALKED to him about it over the weeks before and come the big day we planned to begin he was mature enough physically and emotionally to make the switch easily. Two days and he was out of nappies. Since then I've waited until all my children can understand what I'm aiming to do and why. It's a very personal choice overall though. All the best.
    PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 12:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Whenever HE is ready... If he isn't ready, training is only going to stress you and him both.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When he is ready. Great advice is answer 1
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My son is 25 months, and we've been practicing potty training for a couple months now. He expressed an interest in using a potty after seeing Elmo's Potty Time and reading The Potty Book for Boys. I don't think his bladder is quite ready for him to be truly potty trained just yet, but letting him use it a few times a day is giving him some practice time without a lot of pressure. I usually ask him if he wants to use it before naptime (right after he drinks a fair amount at lunch), and my husband usually asks him if he wants to use it before his evening bath. Other than that, he just uses it when he asks to use it at this point. When I think his bladder is ready, we'll probably do additional training, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity for him to get the concept just because I assumed he wasn't ready yet. I've heard from friends/relatives that sometimes it takes a while for them to get it away from home or at night.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010