contractions

Ok, so are contractions going to be a sharp pain? or are some (like in the beginning) going to be dull? I guess I just don't know what I should be looking for........

Laurenmommy918

Asked by Laurenmommy918 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They can be dull. The most noticeable thing, I thought, was my stomach got really hard and I could feel a squeezing sensation.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Dull, progressively stronger pains. None of mine were sharp so to speak. Like bad period cramps up to bad diarrhea cramps.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Mine have always been dull, but they get pretty intensely dull lol. Some women do experience sharper pains, but most describe them as something akin to menstrual cramps (my last baby I felt them in my back, but my first it did just feel like menstrual cramps that got progressively more intense.)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i would call them very intense but dull which sounds like opposites but you will know what i mean when you start having them...you will know, trust me....even if they dont hurt at first, you are so in tune with your body right now that youre going to notice if anything happens...and FYI, dont be surprised if you have hours of contx and then they stop...that is your body getting ready and it can happen several times or more before they actually continue and you are in true labor...it sucks because you get really excited and then you fall asleep or eat a meal and they STOP : ) so patience is key...you will know when its time Momma ; ) GL!! and Congrats!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• they are different for every woman...i was told that my contractions were hard and strong but they didn't hurt AT ALL. it just felt like my belly was getting hard then soft, no big deal...at 9 cm, a half hour b4 birth they moved into my rectum and that was a dull to sharp to dull very intense unbearable pain. it really depends on the woman cause you can have stomach contractions, you can have hip contractions, back cortractions, butt contractions, pelvic contractions and they are all different. butt contractions are the most painful imo, my stomach onces which were the majority of my labor were naturally painless....you can't really ask what its like cause we all get something different
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I remember asking myself the same thing!!! Will I know when I am labor? What will it feel like. Etc. Etc. For me I had dull mild crampy like contractions for 24 hours. These werent that painful and I could continue on my day. My water broke and IMMEDIATLY the contractions hit full force. You will not mistake the real thing for anything else. For each person it is diffenent, but it was intense fore me. THe best advice is that you will know when it starts....try not to fret about it too much!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010