How can I get my 7 year old out of my bed??

my 7 year old is sleeping in bed with me since i can think. when he was a baby we both did not get any sleep because he was crying all the time and when he was with me in bed he was sound asleep...so ergo i let him sleep with me and we both got some rest.
now. he is 7 and still in bed with me....he is scared of ghosts and mosters etc. that keeps him from going in his room to sleep....what can i do...i know he is not making this up because comes night time he is even to scared to go downstairs for juice although everything is well lit....i even redecorated his room several....any suggestions?????

Ladyblue38

Asked by Ladyblue38 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• here's what i did for my nephew and my son. i got a smoke detector for their room and put it up (good to have one in there anyway). i didn't tell them it was a smoke detector.....i told them it was a security alarm. it scans the room 24/7 for monsters, ghosts, and even burgulars. if the green light is on then it is all clear. if the alarm goes off (then you show them how it sounds by pushing the test button), it scares away the monsters, ghosts, etc. with a supersonic sound that makes them scared. hey, it worked for my kids lol and they are fraidy cats too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• hate to tell you this,but I'm a grown woman and I still jump sometimes in the night -

if he's that scared maybe a cot or something in your room if you have to?
    what if you stayed in his room until he fell asleep?

it's a tough one-
    Anonymous

• I have a routine for my dd. I leave a light on, leave the door open and tell her I will check on her every 10 mins and I will kiss her so she knows I was there. After she gets all ready for bed we read a story in bed together. Usually 1 chapter. Sometimes she reads a page and I read a page. Then I turn on her cd player and lay with her for 2 songs. Sometimes after 2 songs I will put away laundry or tidy up her room for a minute just to stay longer. I think you will just have to put your foot down and try to soend time in his room to make him more comfortable there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Buy some "Glade" room spray. Decorate it up and call it Monster Spray/Monster be gone...Something of that nature. Have him spray all around his room and bed before he lays down. Do this and make him stay a little longer each night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Have a look over this site. I hope it helps but I tell you now, as inconvenient as it may be, stressful or regretted, you have been a terrific loving mum to you little boy in giving him such comfort and reassurance. Bless you both.

http://www.breakthecosleepinghabit.com/

PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 12:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• @princessbeth, that is awesome. I "thought" my spray was good. Yours is way better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• @Braden.....that is a good idea with the spray...i just don't know if he still buys that lol....but i will try thank you ladies
    Ladyblue38

Comment by Ladyblue38 (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• all good suggestions....i really appreciate the help because i'm desperate but like you all know you can not overlook the fact that your child is really scared ....so you give in and try your best and i know some times its not always good but my only hope is that when all fails that one day he will be too proud to sleep with his mommy and just goes in his room all on his own.....

i will try all the suggestions ....the smoke alarm is a great thing really great idea but my little stinker has one in there too and he knows what it's for.....lol
    Ladyblue38

Comment by Ladyblue38 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• gee I think you could just put your foot down. Sounds like he knows all he has to do is pretend to be scared and then you will give in. Children are master manipulators! Tell him he is too old to sleep with mommy and he is expected to start sleeping in his own room. My son slept with me from birth til he was 4. I was also single until he was four. When I finally got in a long term relationship, he was out of my bed from that point on. I would tuck him in and then that was it. He didnt like it at first but now 3 years later he still sleeps in his own room in his own bed.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 1:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2010