Traffic times for the I-5 freeway SoCal

I live in San Diego and am planning to drive to Buena Park on Friday to go to Medieval Times for a show that starts at 6:30pm. It takes roughly 1hr 45 minutes to get there form my house. So without traffic we would have to leave at around 4:30 to get there on time. I am worried about traffic. Does anyone know how the traffic gets on that particular stretch of freeway at those times and have an idea of what time I should leave my house? Its a surprise for my husbands birthday and I dont want to be late.

kanakake

Asked by kanakake at 12:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Travel

• I know from downtown San Diego to Oceanside on a Friday during rush hour can take like an hour and a half if not more. I avoid that stretch of the 5 at all costs during rush hour!! But without traffic it only takes a little over an hour to get to Buena Park/Anaheim. If you have to be there by 6:30 I'd leave by 4 at the latest especially on a Friday.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'm not from San Diego, but try routing it on Google maps at around the same time tonight so that it factors in rush hour traffic. It should be able to give you an estimate on travel time. I would also add 15 minutes to that at least, since Friday traffic is usually worse than average weekday traffic.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Yeah after 3pm you get a lot of traffic. I'd prob leave around 3:30 so you can avoid unforeseen traffic or accidents. Remember it's a FRIDAY so any place on that freeway is going to be packed.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• From SD to BP, I'd allow AT LEAST 2 hours, probably 2.5 on a Friday night. Any freeway through the OC is bad, especially on a Friday afternoon. Plus, Medieval Times is on Beach Blvd right near Knott's, so at that time of day, you've also got to deal with the Knott's traffic, plus all the other restaurants and attractions right in that area. Whatever time you can allow, I'd allow just to be safe.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2010