how do you determin alamony payments?

I am going through a divorce and they asked me how much I want and for how long ? How do I figure this out I am a stay at home mom always have been, have a set of twins 13yrs. still at home one is autistic. I have not worked out of the house for 20 yrs and know I can not make on mim. wage . He is currently laid off but usually makes 100,00.00 yr Knowing he will fight me all the way ...

ready4change

Asked by ready4change at 12:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• Well being that he is laid off right now, that is going to hurt A LOT. Alimony is calculated differently in each state. Some will say that you are entitled to a portion of what he made while married, but others look at everything that you are keeping from the divorce. Such as house, car, bills, and such.. I would personally either be looking for a job, or something.. Alimony isn't going to be enough to live off of.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• you don't the courts will. They will look at your income and expenses and look at his and take the percentage out that will be appropriate for you to survive. Then there is child support payments which has nothing to do with alamony. The courts will determine that as well. He can fight all he wants but it will not help. I don't know who asked you to determine but this is the usual way it works. Now if you must give a round about figure for them to consider then take all your bills...ALL of them, add up that and what you feel you need for food, car expenses, mortgage/rent, etc and don't forget odds and ends such as cleaning supplies, personal products and so forth. Ask if the child support will be included or separate. If included add up clothing, food, and anything your children need. There is your starting point. Good luck
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• you dont the court does and regardless of being jobless it will be set to a certain amount and it will just get passed due and eventually after a few months of not paying it he can be arrested.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• well, look at your monthly expenses, what you can live on. my ex step father makes roughly the same, in their divorce, my mom got the house, everything in it (minus his stuff, clothes, ect), and full custody. He pays the morgage on the house, insurance for the boys, and she gets a little over 3,000 monthly in alimony and child support.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• *my mother is also has her own immigration law practice so she is pulling in a little income
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies- I saw a lawyer and they asked what I wanted and for how long I thought they would help but this is a free lawyer . I tried to figure what you havesaid about bills and such it does help me out . Thank You again
    ready4change

Comment by ready4change (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010