Car title, tags, insurance-not sure where to post this

We planned on getting the title for our car switched to our name this week, as well as the tags and insurance but we had something come up and now we only have about $100 to work with until SO gets paid next. We NEED to get the title switched over or we will be in trouble. So how can we do this. I'm not sure if we have to do it all at once or not but thats what SO is pushing at me. I suggested we get the title switched over since thats that needs to be done, like, a month ago, and then tags. But SO says in order to get tags we have to have insurance. So can we just do the title and then tags and ins. ASAP? (Yes I know we cannot drive the car without tags and insurance).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can do the title by itself. I just did it recently for a car we got. We did the tags about a week later (we had to get an inspection done & I couldn't get the car in till then). They asked me if I wanted to do the tags too & I said no because i didnt have the inspection done yet & they didnt question me further. You only need the insurance proof when you do the tags.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You should be able to get the title without having proof of insurance but really you will need to call your DMV as different states might have different rules. You can buy a "fixer upper" and not drive it, so why do you need insurance on it?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Call your car insurance person. They will know what order things must be done in your state.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2010