A little question before heading to the hospital

I wrote earlier stating that I have been having bad contractions off and on but nothing consistent for 3 days. I am 34 weeks, if the doctors determine that I am dilating and the contractions are real but not consistent will they give pictocin or something similar to help the contractions get regular this early? Thank you. Just wanting to know what to prepare for. I'm heading to the hospital in a few hours.

MommieIsSexay

Asked by MommieIsSexay at 1:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• NO!! They will not. That baby will be in the NICU and they could get sued. If bag is still intact they will give you tributaline to stop the contractions. I was 5cm for 6-8 weeks so I know they won't do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• no, they will probably give you something to make the contractions stop. they will not induce labor at 34 weeks if there is nothing wrong
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• No! The doctors will NOT interfere this early. Some hospitals will not stop the labor, they will let your body do whatever it wants on its own. But I have been having inconsistent contractions for weeks. My cervix is stalled at 2 cms and soft and I have not had my baby yet. Contractions need to be in a consistent pattern to do dramatic changing in your cervix.

34 weeks is TOO early.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i agree with Musicmom80. I was in the same boat as her. Depending on the severity of your contractions and or dilation they may also admit you for magnesium and give you 2 shot series of a steroid to help the babies lung mature. Also will do a swab culture to test for the pres sense of a certain hormone to see how eminent delivery within the next 2 weeks will be. Good Luck!
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Oh btw, voice of experience here. It's very common to have the contractions you are having at this point. It could be from not drinking enough water, or just a test run. If you lay down, drink some water and they stop, there is really no need for a trip to the hospital. A pelvic exam will make you more uncomfortable cause annoying BH contractions and then some. At 34 weeks it's common to be a little bit dialated, it doesn't mean you are in labor or going to be anytime soon, and can make you a little anxious and crazy! Hang in there! That last trimester is a doozy momma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• One they WILL NOT induce you at 34 weeks unless there is some reason to think the baby is in distress of some sort. Second it is VERY common to have on and off contractions at 34 weeks and they are called braxton hicks. Third it is also VERY common to be dilated at 34 weeks a little. If they feel you are actually going to have the baby in the next couple days or less then they will likely give you a shot to help the babies lung mature quicker, but most likely they will give you some saline to make sure you are hydrated and then send you home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Normally I wouldn't have gone to the hospital but when I called my OB she suggested I go b/c she said what I described sounded like real labor contractions that just weren't getting consistent, this happened with my 2nd child at 37 weeks and I was given pictocin to give me a little push and then the contractions became regular.
    MommieIsSexay

Comment by MommieIsSexay (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Prayers for you and baby.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• OB will tell you that. They have to. I swear I stopped calling everytime I had contractions because all they say is you have to come in. They can't diagnose it on the phone. As for your child at 37 weeks. You would have gone into labor on your own just fine had they not done that. That was unneccesary if baby wasn't in distress. My son was born between 35-37 they really don't know for sure,they did the pit thing too, and I regret it, He needed a lot of help and I didn't get to go home with him. When you are having contractions that you can't speak through and they are somewhat regular for more than 4 hours, or your water breaks, or you are progressing with dialating every hour, that's the real thing. Giving someone pitocin doesn't mean they were in true labor.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think it depends on your hospital. I went into early labor at 35 weeks because of a car accident. They said at 34 weeks they would have tried to stop it but once you hit 35 weeks they let you go. You'll just have to ask your doctor what the policy is.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2010