My sanity is hanging by a (very thin) thread right now...

My daughter is 2 1/2, I have a 2 month old son and a dirty house. I try really hard to keep it up, but my toddler out paces me every day. Today is no different except that my patience with her is wearing thin. She keeps spreading toys around, and for some reason EVERYTHING she does is getting on my nerves. I feel terrible because a minute ago she was trying to push me back into the kitchen when I was coming to the living room to clean it up and I tried to guide her to the side, but my annoyance got the better of me and I put rather more force into the action than I intended and it knocked her over :(

Right now she's in my lap, cuddling her baby brother and this is very nice... but the second I try to start cleaning up the house she is going to run around and foil my plans again.

How do I find patience to deal with her, and how can I get and keep the house clean?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• my kid does that as well and he is almost 4.. so i wait until it is close to bed time and i have him help me pick up the toys. that way im not constantly picking up after him through out the day. just leave it for the end of the day so the house starts off nice and clean in the morning.. of course it wont last that long. also if i notice he brings toys out and then goes and does something else i have him pick up what he's not playing with.
    lacystar

Answer by lacystar at 1:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• That happens to me too, I think it's normal. But when you find the answer, PLEASE tell me. My 2 1/2 year old drives me nuts sometimes and criessss and criessssss because I won't let her watch some show I tell her to play w/toys and she freaks out. I get super frustrated.

I think it's just part of bein a mom. But I feel like i'm a bad mom when stuff like this happens.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• So put her in a confined area and LET her scream while you clean up. Like a playpen in another room. Let her know who is in control.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I should clarify... she was not in any way injured when I accidentally knocked her down, she just lost her balance and kind of slid to the floor because I overcorrected her course lol. I didn't hit her and make her fall down or anything.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I have three little ones very close in age and it never stops. They take every toy out of their room and spread them around then walk away. So I started handing them each a bag(including the 20 MO) I have them pick them all up as a game and carry them back to their room. If they continue and do not pick them up they go in a garbage bag not to be seen for a very long time until they earn them back.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• OK i have a 3yr old and a 2 Yr old....i understand all about it.....Have her hlep you.....turn it into a game with her....that usuallly works for me....
    Ruthie220

Answer by Ruthie220 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• The games don't work lol. She doesn't care, it's still picking up and she hates it. Either that or I have to keep on top of her and it's faster and less frustrating to just do it myself. I know that doesn't do her any favors, but I just get so frustrated when I have to tell her for the thousandth time to pick something up. I start yelling, she starts crying and then she gets time out for not doing what I say and she will REFUSE to pick it up for hours. This child is going to be the death of me lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• i have an 8 year old, 7 year old, 5 year old, 2 year old, plus a 4 month old. i just do all i can when the baby naps, and don't worry about the two year old's toys until after all the kids are in bed.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 1:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• IDK, i never understand this problem! I have 4 kids...7,4,3,1 and am 7 monthes pregnant, and I always have a clean house, I mean why dont you discipline the child, and place her into her room, until she is able to follow directions?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• JoLee, I understand what you're saying. I always thought I would be that type of parent, but when it comes down to it, I have a hard time managing the screaming and crying. I get frustrated and frayed and have trouble comporting myself with any restraint if I have a child who just screams the whole day. I use the saying "Is this the hill I want to die on?" when I am deciding whether an issue is big enough to warrent action with this child because it seriously is like a battle. Everything. Eating, what she drinks and out of what container, which toys to bring with us when we go out, where she sits in the cart at the grocery store... she can throw a fit over nothing and it's not for lack of dicipline... she gets lots of time outs, no-nos and redirection, she just refuses to listen for the most part, and with a baby who doesn' tlike to be put down, this is getting ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2010