I am trying to get my 1 year old of the bottle. Any suggestions?

My daughter just turned 1 and I have already introduced whole milk, but the problem is that she will drink everything else out of her cup and everyone else's, except for milk. I find it even harder to do because I work full time and my Mom watches her during the day (so she's spoiled). What can be done to "wean" her off of her bottle?

MamaJay625

Asked by MamaJay625 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know, I have this problem sometimes, too. Try giving the milk in a cup during a time when she's really thirsty. Or try different types of cups. For example, my daughter likes the Nub cups with the straw.
    HRSalaam723

Answer by HRSalaam723 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Don't ween just throw away all bottles and give her a sippie cup. This is what I did to 4 out of 5 of my kids and it worked for me and I did this at 8 months old.
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 11:47 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I had no problem with my first three children but the fourth one was much harder. My doctor said that she could stay on the bottle until 15 months. I tried weening slowly but that did not work. Cold turkey is the way to go. And when I finally let go and refused to give the bottle she started drinking from the cup!
    gatorgirl94

Answer by gatorgirl94 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Cold turkey!! You have to throw those bottles away! It isn't going to hurt her if she doesn't have milk for a day because she's being stubborn about what she drinks it out of. If she drinks juice and water out of a cup then give her that until she's ready to accept the milk. I had to do this with both of my kids and again recently with my son. I was ready to take away his sippy cups (he just turned 3) and only give him straw cups, but he again refused his milk from a straw cup, but it only lasted a day.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Give her the option of water in a bottle or milk in a sippy cup. Stick to it - if you let her have milk in the bottle again, it will be even harder the next time you try.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• try getting the soft spout sippy cups!, my son was broke completly from the bottle in 3 days wit these
    LANDENSmamii

Answer by LANDENSmamii at 3:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• my son likes sippy cups also but still likes his bottle, I guess just wait it out
    ISAIAHMOM632007

Answer by ISAIAHMOM632007 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• take her to the store and let her buy herself a big girl cup, like one of htose princess ones, the sippy ones, and let her throw the baby bottles away. make it a production.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My daughter kept losing her bottles and I quit buying them. When I found one it went in the garbage (I did the same with her nubbies too). It didn't leave her with much choice. She hasn't had a bottle since she was 13 months. I never had a problem with her sucking any fingers or anything it worked out well I guess. So I suggest not leaving an option for weaning. If you feel like you can't do that then buy her sippy cups that have nipple like tops to help her with the transition. They work great until your kid starts to chew them apart :)
    Saria87

Answer by Saria87 at 3:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2008