Puppy has fleas ......

I have a 5 month old puppy who has fleas, I wash her toys and her bedding in hot water and I have put apple cider vinegar in her drinking water. Today I even sprinkled salt on my carpets and let it sit for 10 mins and swept. Gave her a bath with dish soap and rinsed her with diluted apple cider vinegar .

My question is how else can I eliminate these fleas ?

Sheleekieije

Asked by Sheleekieije at 1:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Pets

• To know what your puppy can handle, because of size, is to go to the professionals. Your puppy is precious and deserves the best. So go see your Vet and they will know what is best for your dogs weight and size. You don't want to overkill. Plus if your puppy is a licker, you may have to get one of those collars to protect them from chewing on her skin or licking it. Whatever is needed, they know best. Oh, check around, if you live in a big town. ask other pet owners who they trust their dog with. You want someone who cares for your baby and not just your money! Hope this helps! Hope you have many years with your bundle of joy!
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 9:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Keep using the salt on the carpets and the Dawn on the dog every day. The eggs are still there and you need to do this routine for about 2 weeks to completely be rid of them. If the dog goes outside routinely you need to treat the area she goes outside too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• dawn dish soap sufficates the fleas just keep using it or u could get flea stuff from a pet store
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• the apple cider vinegar doesn't work so great. Flea's practically have metal armor on them, they are super hard to kill. The only way to really kill them is if you get frontline or anvantix (or squish them with something hard on a hard surface). My vet told me that you don't need to put it on every month. She has 3 dogs & puts it on every OTHER moth & they never get flea's or ticks. You're going to have to go to petsmart, or the vet to get it. It really hepls. All my cats are outdoor & never ever have flea's with frontline. The dish detergent helps, but certainly will not make them go away.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Thanks ladies , I believe our puppy is too young for frontline or even the anvantix
    Sheleekieije

Comment by Sheleekieije (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• daen is horrible for dog's PH level on their skin. You'd have to wash them almost daily with it to keep fleas away, but it's so bad for their skin & coat. Also, if you get advantage or frontline...the dishsoap will ruin the treatment making it not work as good. So, DON"T wash your dog with detergent if you get the advantix or frontline, it will make it not work as good. You cal also treat your back yard for fleas, a friend said this helped greatly.

seriously, if you want them gone for good..get frontline...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• sorry DAWN....
    samurai_chica

• They do make it for pups,it goes by their weight. I use K 9 advantix on my three beagles and it works great!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I will have to go check later today and see if I can get her something . thanks for your help ladies
    Sheleekieije

Comment by Sheleekieije (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• At 5 months old your dog is not to young for frontline,Advantage,revolution or advantix. Most of these products are made safe for pups as young as 6 weeks. Get one of these products from the vet. The stuff at the pet store like Hartz is not safe. Also Dawn is only a temporary fix it will kill the fleas on the dog but not the fleas in the environment.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2010