Wood Floors

DH and I just bought (well on land contract) our first fixer-upper home... There are real hardwood floors through out it... The basement has held water, so with the floors covered in newspapers and trash, (although that's all 'clean' now) the floors look rough. Luckily there isn't mold, but I was wondering what would work BEST to clean the floors... I plan on bleaching them first, just because I'm bleaching everything :) And also, there are layers of flooring in kitchen, would it be better to seal it and lay new flooring (the MUCH easier route) or tearing up all the old flooring down to the hardwood? I also want to say, that my husband and I are doing all these repairs ourselves. We both grew up with construction workers, so we do know a good bit... I'm the only girl in my family that can lay shingles. And what's a good bedroom color? I really don't want white, and am just so in over my head lol

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 1:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You'll want to strip and refinish the hardwood if you want to keep the original in your house. The layers of linoleum - personally I'd strip it all up and refinish the hardwoods, but I'm a hardwood kinda gal. Make sure that you've got ample insulation in the crawl space and you'll be fine.
    Bedroom - Any color is good - what is your favorite color? I personally don't sleep well in "Bright" rooms or red rooms. So when I paint, I tend to make the bedrooms earth tones in greens, tans, and blues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Well, I guess it depends on how much work you want to do. We went ahead and pulled up all the layers in our kitchen (there were 7!!) when we did our floor. We found hardwood underneath. We thought about refinishing it, but it sure seemed like a lot of upkeep further down the road. So, we went ahead with laminate, and we're very happy with it! The only thing is, it's much colder in our house in the winter without the extra layers of flooring underneath.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 1:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's to ask...they know everything
    JoanColi

Answer by JoanColi at 2:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• You can rent a sander and sand down a very thin layer off of the top. then vacuum and varnish.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2010