Any NC or SC Mom's??? (we are looking to move!)

We are looking to move to SC or NC and I have no clue where. We would like to be in a area that is warm most of the season. A place that is not very remote (we need city life) and a place that is kid friendly and not prone to constant weather anomolies like hurricanes and tornados.... I wouldn't mind being near the coast and I love the vegetation that comes with a warmer climate. I am in MIchigan right now and we hate it here.

Asked by cacnotcam at 2:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Travel

• Raliegh or Cary, North Carolina is really nice. I only lived there for 3 months but I would definitely go back.

Answer by ntasha81 at 6:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Honey, I moved from Michigan to the south and I soooo regret it. It is a different world that from where you come from. Seriously, I have had my boxes packed for 3 years...hoping for a transfer back up North. My biggest suggestion is stay in a large city. As far as the is Hot!!! and on the coast those hurricanes do come...they come quick and it is no laughing matter. We have been through to many to count. Never at ground 0, thank god...but to close for this Yankee womens comfort. I hated Michigan too while we lived there...oh how wrong I was. The south is a great place to visit...Mid west people are created differently. I miss my peeps!!! and those seasonal changes...! Just imagine wearing your favorite outfit...everyday...for years. That is what the weather is like. I hated snow..I mean Hated it. Now I would jump head first into it given the chance. Good Luck in whatever you do and where ever you go... if ya want more info.. PM me!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I live in Wilmington, NC and it is very northern-ized. I moved from northwestern PA three years ago and I'm really happy with it. Raleigh & Wilmington both have great suburbs nearby and are really growing. Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and Charleston, SC may sound touristy, but they're not bad in the off season. You just can't get a place near the coast and avoid hurricane threats.

Look into those cities and see what you like. Once you find a realtor you can be more specific about being right in the city or going out to the suburbs a little bit. Charlotte is also a popular city with good weather, and there are lots of lakes around there. Most of my friends out there enjoy that aspect of it. Plus, Charlotte is only about 4 hours from Wilmington & Myrtle Beach. Good luck!!

Answer by KDW211 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I live in Spartanburg, SC! I love it hear, it isn't to large of a city and it isn't to small. We are only 4 hours from myrtle beach and three hours from Charleston and folly beach. We have good shopping here, but if you want even more Greenville is a half hour away and Columbia is an hour away! Granted we have had a very hot summer this year, but if you have a pool it isn't to bad. I personaly am a summer person so it fits! I think for the most part the people here are very nice. I have a ton of family in NY and when they come to visit they love it! One of my uncles is actually thinking about moving here after living his whole life in NY!

Answer by hannahtpt at 10:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hello --I live in Columbia, SC. Warm most of the time and about 2 hours from Charleston,SC. The possible of hurricanes or tornadoes are very unusal here.
    We love children so much here-check out the book-_Charley's Columbia Backyard by Caroline Coleman Bennett.
    Columbia has a Childrens Museum called Edventure. -this is their website. This is a very interactive museum. "Eddie" the 40 ft child is the most popular thing-the children can crawl through him and see all the parts of the body. (Heart, lungs). There is so much to tell you about it. Just look at the website.
    There is also Riverbanks Zoo-there is everything from polar bears to zebras to monkeys to everything in between. ( There website is is also a beautiful botanical garden attached to the zoo.
    But above all the sights-the Southern Hospitality is the best in the world.
    Hope to see you soon,
    There is various puppet shows

Answer by baby98 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Asheville. Its a small city and growing. Lots of things for kids here...if you love the outdoors you will love it here. We are very eclectic town so you should be fairly openminded.

Answer by SensualScents at 11:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I just moved back to Raleigh. I grew up here, until I left for college. I have actually never been through a hurricane or tornado here, but I live downtown. It's usually the suburbs that get hit I think. Raleigh was listed as the 2nd best place to work and live in the nation this past year I believe.
    We moved from PA back here. I like it but it does take some getting use to weather-wise.

Answer by pwfaith at 3:15 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I moved from New Jersey to Charleston SC and love it. Ahh I hate to say you'll be in the Hurricane belt here. had one this season that was headed towards us but shifted north at the last minute.
    . And yes everytime there is a major thunderstorm they call tornado warnings. And too be honest we had an earthquake last month. BUt the weather is nice normal and we even had snow the other day. I wouldn't move back north for anything

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• City life is great, but I would look into an area that is maybe 15-20minutes away from the city. SC has beautiful weather, and if we even a trace of snow the kids are outside dancing in it. Im originally from KS and lived up north for years- so I find this always quite entertaining. Anyways, I would pick a smaller town because it will give your children a small network of friends- everyone does know everybody- or least waves. lol That took some getting used to.
    Research and take your time- our weather is usually horribly hot in the summer, but you get used to it. I wouldnt move from SC unless I was moving out west somewhere.

Answer by peachwine at 12:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I live in Charleston, SC and moved here from the Detroit area and I love it here!! I could never move back to Michigan!! All our family is still in Michigan we go back to visit once a year and thats all I can handle. The people in the South are so much more friendlier. Good luck with your move.

Answer by Melissa0035 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 23, 2009