How often should a breast-fed 12 week old baby be eating?

She used to eat every 3 hours like clock-work. Recently, she pushes me away when I try to feed her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever she is hungry really. Normal at that age is every 3-5 hours. As long as she is having 6-8 wet/dirty dipes a day and hitting her milestones fine then she is getting enough to eat.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Whenever she's hungry... When babies go through growth spurts, they eat more, when they aren't growing as much, they aren't going to eat as much. I wouldn't worry as long as she is needing changed 6+ times a day, as usual... Or showing other signs of hunger...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Listen to her cues! Babies often go through periods of eating less or eatng more. Instead of watching the clock, watch your baby for signs she is ready to eat. Tomm. she may want to nurse every 2 hours!!!!
    Also, have you changed anything in your diet? My son nursed very well and one day he would start and then pull away fussy. This went on for 2 days. I had been eating cinnomon jelly beans and sure enough my milk was spicy and tasted like cinnomen. LOL!!! Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Typically, on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• Feed her when she is hungry. Trust your instincts. If you think she might be hungry, keep offering her. If she refuses too often, take her to the doc. As long as she is gaining the appropriate amount of weight, she should be fine. They do start to go longer between feedings, then they may revert back to feeding every 2-3 hours.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 4:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010