How can I get my step childrens biological mom take responsibility and parent?

My step children have no consequences at there other house. At our house they have chores,rewards, pretty normal expectations. At their mothers house they get in trouble for helping out ( i.e. makingmtheir own beds)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• These ladies are right. I am a Step Mom and an ex wife. I have one GREAT relationship with my children's step mom and I have one VERY HORRIBLE relationship (for lack of a better word) with my step daughters' mother. She is the same way when it comes to Parent Alienation (look that up btw ladies!!!). All you can do is what only you can do. Only you can control your temper, only you can control your choices, only you can control the way you present yourself and what you stand for. Your children... (I call them my children even if they are my step children...its not that I take anything away from the BM but I raise them so I do not say they ARENT my children! Make sense?) ...will know and see this for themselves as they mature. Children are taught what they know and can see sometimes. Show them you are the more positive person. Good luck. I too need the luck! LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have never heard of a child getting in trouble for doing chores, your husband needs to talk with his ex and set her straight.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:03 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I had this same problem with my stepsons mom. He had free reign over there, no rules, no chores, no responsibilities, she didn't even care if he did his homework or was passing. . At my house it was a battle to get him to do anything. There is nothing you can do about her parenting. Just do the best you can while they are with you. He lived with us for a while and then went back (because he thought it would be better) and started failing school again - after a couple months he called his dad and actually asked to come back and live with us. He realized the discipline helped him.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 6:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• We went through this with my oldest daughter. I set my foot down and told her whatever happened there, the rule were different at my house, and she would respect that or pay the consequences. She's 13 now, and will tell you she hates going to visit her dad because she sees that his lack of discipline is downright lazy parenting, and she takes it personally.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Theres really nothing that you can do except what you are doing. You can't make her be a good mom and take responsibility,its her choice not to be a good parent. The children will know when they grow up whats what.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You can't.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2008