I am a working mother but I am currently in college but I don't have the time to keep up with a 4 month old. Do you think it's acceptable to put my dreams on hold to take care of her, but not put it off for longer than a year?

cubanbeauty456

Asked by cubanbeauty456 at 6:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Money & Work

• are you asking if it's ok to delay school for about a year? well, they're only little once. that's my opinion on it. =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• When you had your child, your dreams automatically went on hold until school and work fits into yours and hers schedule. Trust me..I know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• That's what I'm doing. In some ways it hurts because I really want to be back in school and getting on with my career but these are the only moments I will have with my son this first year. The first year is so important so I took the time out to spend ti with him.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 8:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Do you have a partner or spouse that can take some of the load?

If you think it's hard "keeping up" with a four month old, wait until they're old enough to ask questions about why you aren't there!

Get your schooling done in one big push and then you can spend time with her. Or scale back to one or two classes and relax a little.

Yes, becoming a mother means adjusting your dreams but it shouldn't mean abandoning them. There are ways to create a balance but you need to look at the whole picture.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Do you have a husband,grandma or an aunt that can help you out.I have three kids and a mother who has altheimers and I leave them with my boyfriend during the day While I go to school during the day.Try I am very big on school try to finish you will have a better life.I wish you all the luck in the worldstay strong.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I put off college for my kids. I just graduated w/ a technical certificate after 4 years. I can't work but,I am glad I was able to finish. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• In my opinion, your baby is more important. School will always be there. Your infant won't...they grow so fast, so enjoy the time now.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You can go to your school and get them to suspend your status for a semester. I forgot what it's called-maybe extended leave?-I used to work in the records office at my old college but forgot all the terms. You can then go back without reapplying for everything.

Take a semester off and enjoy your little one.

Or take online classes to keep your student status and loans/grants. You can do them while LO is sleeping and one on campus class to get away from the house (trust me-you'll want this!!).
    LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 9:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Are you a single mom? Can you get dad to work a little extra, or get dad to take care of baby more?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• There are a lot of great online schools. I put off becoming a nurse to stay home with my daughter. I had her when I was half way done with school, and am now taking online classes so I can keep my student status.
    Kimmers1116

Answer by Kimmers1116 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2008