how do i stop teenagers attitude? adult content

i have a 14 year old boy who thinks he can do basically what he wants he wont listen to me and as i a single mum its hard to deal with ....my other son who is 13 is the total opposite..have tried grounding him and stopin him from using the phone and not letting him have tv........am i doin things wrong ?

cazzie103

Asked by cazzie103 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you tried the opposite, like instead of yelling or grounding him, try to see why he is upset, or maybe even telling him that you noticed that he is upset?Im no expert because i have a 14yr old sd who is getting an attitude but i was thinking about trying this.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• have tried he wont talk to me or anyone in the family .....have had his attitude for over a year now
    thank you
    cazzie103

Comment by cazzie103 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• 14 was a tough age for me too with my oldest. I sat him down, and told him that I didn't like the way he was talking to me. I told him they way he treated hurt my feelings and scared me. I felt that they way he treated me was a direct sign of how he felt about me, and that I was starting to believe that he didn't love me or want me around. I told him that I wanted more for our relationship, that my hopes were when he left home we would still talk to each other and I would always be there for him. I told him life is hard without parents you can to turn too for help later on (I don't have that). I told him that I don't ask for much, just a little help around the house. I told him he has a lot of freedom that most don't because I trust him, but I also expect him to do the little I ask of him in return. By the end he was crying and apologizing and telling me he loved me, I was crying before it got to that point. It helped
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• This comes with the age, ignore him like he ignores you, kill him with kindness and soon enough this stage will be over soon!

Answer by older at 2:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• the more you try to change their additude the worse it gets. i went threw it . my son is now 20 and daughter is almost 30. they will grow out of it .
    susieq46maine

Answer by susieq46maine at 2:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• thank you for all your comments .......will try to ignore his behaviour and hope he does grow out of it
    cazzie103

Comment by cazzie103 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• When I say ignore, do not include putting up with disrespect, that is a no no!

Answer by older at 7:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I am just going to answer this honestly considering I am only 3 years older than your son, and at 14 I was a TOTAL a**.
    My mom tried everything as did my dad, nothing they did phased me, whether they yelled at me, grounded me, or just ignored me.

I acted they way I did because of the people I was hanging around in middle school, once my Mom realized that she talked to my school counselor and made sure I could have little to no contact with those people, and I started to see how much I really had been upsetting my parents and I stopped on my own. I'm not saying this is the "issue" with him. Some teenagers just have attitudes and have to "grow up" in a sense and see how they are hurting other.

Good luck :3
    MmmmMamaBear

Answer by MmmmMamaBear at 2:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, attitude is generally part of the age....for my boys it seems like it was from about 17 to 19. I do think it's important to give consequences for bad behavior.....taking away the cell phone, or at least blocking the texting was one of the worst things I could do to my middle son, oldest it was video games, youngest computer.......it does seem to pass, I think it's partly hormones, and partly just trying to find their independence....

Good Luck Momma, I feel your pain......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2010